miércoles, 1 de febrero de 2012

NEW YORK GIANTS PRESS CONFERENCE - QUARTERBACK ELI MANNING - Ingles

Super Bowl XLVI – Wednesday, February 1, 2012

(on how much game planning is done in Indianapolis as opposed to in New York) “Coach (Tom) Coughlin wanted to put in the game plan in New Jersey – get everything done. This week, you make a few changes and tweaks to a few plays; maybe add a play here or take a play out. All the work has been done. Now it’s just a matter of continuing to run the plays and get more reps at them, and prepare for a few different looks that New England does. (We) just want to have a great practice. When you get here you want things to be crisp. Get on the field, run around, have smooth practices and just get ready to play.”

(on whether he has been a big part in the maturity of his wide receivers) “I give credit to the receivers. They have done a great job of preparing, getting ready, understanding the game plan, understanding the scheme we’re going against and the unique traits of that defense and how they play their coverages, what their response and reactions will be to a blitz or a coverage, and doing the right thing. I have to give credit to them and Sean Ryan, the receivers’ coach, for getting them prepared. I put a few final touches and reminders in their head – something that might occur, just be ready for it so if it does (they) have a chance to hit some big plays. The receivers have all done a great job of understanding what they need to do on the field and they’ve done a great job making plays.”

(on whether he is pleased with how wide receiver Victor Cruz has picked up the offense) “I am. Victor, I give a lot of credit to him. He plays a tough position in that slot with a lot of decisions to make. Last year when Steve Smith got hurt for awhile, we tried to move some other guys around, Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham. I think they realized how tough it is in there. It is a different reaction. It’s not as specific exactly what your route is. It’s more of a, ‘Have a great feel, get open, find a zone, find a lane.’ You have to be very clear with your body language to tell me what you’re doing. That’s something Victor has done a great job with. (He’s) very definitive in his route running and body language. I know exactly what he’s doing. If you can do it and you can master that, it’s a great way to get a lot of catches in the middle of the field, in the slot spot. It’s pretty impressive in what he’s been able to do in his first year of really playing that position and playing in the NFL.”

(on what a second Super Bowl win will mean for his legacy) “I’m not worried about my legacy. I’m worried about winning a championship for the New York Giants, for my teammates and my coaches. We’ve all worked hard. This is a team game. You play for your teammates and the players, coaches and organization that’s helped you get here. (I’m) looking forward to the opportunity to play on Sunday.”

(on whether the Giants wide receivers are the best trio in the NFL) “I don’t know how to rate every other receiving corps. I’m not really concerned with the other guys. I like our receivers. I like the way they work. I like the way they support each other. They all are very confident in themselves. They don’t have an ego that distracts from the team or each other. Whether it’s Hakeem (Nicks) scoring touchdowns or Victor (Cruz) or Mario (Manningham), they all are the first ones to go congratulate each other. That shows that they truly appreciate the work that goes into scoring touchdowns. I don’t have favorites right now. I’m reading the coverages. I’m going to whoever’s getting open.”

(on what he is like with his teammates off the field) “I try to have fun with my teammates. I try to show them that football is very important to me. I get prepared. When it’s time to practice, I’m focused and serious. I take this game and my job very seriously, but there is a lot of time around the locker room where you have down time. You try to keep things loose and joke around with the guys and have a football relationship and a relationship outside of football. I try to find that good mix just to keep things fun.”


(on his ability to extend plays) “The receivers have done a great job. When the play does breakdown, or the timing of the play is thrown off, whether you have to hold the ball longer or you scramble outside of the pocket, they’ve done a great job of coming back to the football and continuing to work for me and find throwing lanes. It’s really a credit to all the guys. It’s the offensive line blocking a little bit longer, holding onto blocks so you can get out of the pocket. And other guys working for you to give you the opportunity to make plays when the rhythm is off.”

(on how important David Cutcliffe was to his development) “I have all the respect for Coach (David) Cutcliffe and my time at Ole Miss was very special to me. We have a great friendship and relationship that has carried on to this day. He is still someone that I talk to and keep in touch with throughout the whole season. He is someone, during this offseason when I wasn’t allowed to work with my coaches, I went and saw Coach Cutcliffe at Duke for a few days to get some coaching and work some drills. He’s a great quarterback coach and fundamentalist. He was a big help in developing me as a quarterback.”

(on how Head Coach Tom Coughlin has changed over the years) “He is still very disciplined. He wants his players disciplined. Everything is still five minutes early. He wants guys to be on time and to take great pride in their work, be totally committed to the preparation side of football also. You’re out there on that practice field, giving 100 percent, being totally focused on what you have to do to get prepared for Sunday. When he sees a team that does that, when he sees a team that has players that expect that from each other he can relax a little bit. He has shown more of his passion for football and the players, guys respect that and play hard for him.”

(on avoiding the Peyton Manning distractions ) “I’m proud of Peyton. I’ve talked to him this week. None of that comes up. When I talk to Peyton, he does a great job of trying to keep me relaxed. (We) talk a little football and talk about New England some. He’s supported me this week. I know he’s just working hard trying to get healthy and I’m going to support him on that.”

(on Tom Coughlin’s sense of humor) “Coach (Tom) Coughlin likes to laugh. He likes to smile. You just have to find him in the right moment. He has that same attitude – there’s a time to prepare, there’s a time to focus and be disciplined and have that look of determination and then there is down time when you can smile and have a normal conversation, not about football. Yesterday, after our media day, we all sat down and had lunch with him amongst other players. He’s in high spirits and a great mood. He’s smiling and laughing and we can kind of laugh about some of the ridiculous questions we’ve been asked at media day.”

(on what pressure the Giants feel) “I think pressure is something you feel when you’re unprepared. I’ve been very prepared for each game. Our team has been prepared and we’ve been playing good football. We have to keep that same mentality and have a great week of practice this week; and enjoy this opportunity and go out there with the mindset that we’re going to play our best football game this season.”

(on his routine the night before the Super Bowl) “The night before the game is always the same. We’ll have meetings at 7:30 pm. We’ll have snacks. We’ll go look at the game plan one last time, get ready to play and have a good night’s sleep and wake-up and get ready to play in a football game.”

(on whether he would have accomplished what he has if he had gone to San Diego) “No one knows that answer. Obviously, being in New York, being in the Giants organization, it’s been tremendous. They are a first-class organization. They are dedicated to winning – getting the right coaches, getting the right players each year and trying to put a championship team on the field. I’ve been very proud of playing in New York and being able to represent the New York Giants.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario