jueves, 2 de febrero de 2012

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS MEDIA SESSION - WIDE RECEIVER MATTHEW SLATER - Ingles

Super Bowl XLVI – Thursday, February 2, 2012

(on what the Super Bowl experience has been like so far) “It’s been a tremendous experience. I think everything I would have expected and more. I think my favorite part about this has been the time I’ve been able to spend with my teammates. Just look back on the season we’ve had and enjoy it, but also just looking forward to Sunday and preparing for Sunday.”

(on what it’s been like having a veteran wide receiver like Deion Branch on the team) “Deion, it’s been so great having Deion back here. He’s the ultimate professional. He really does the little things to prepare himself to have the best success he can on Sundays as far as on the field. Off the field, he’s just a great guy to have in the locker room. He’s a leader; he just knows how to motivate guys, how to keep guys positive and how to keep guys focused on the task at hand. You couldn’t ask for a better guy to play with than Deion.”

(on if he thinks his religion and faith has an impact on the outcome of the games) “I don’t think of it in that perspective because there are believers on both sides, there are Christians on both sides. At the end of the day, as Christians, it’s not about us as players, it’s about us giving our glory back to our Lord and savior. We’re just blessed to play this game. I really don’t think that he’s up there saying this team or that team; obviously he has a will and a plan for us all, but there are believers on both sides of the ball and the Lord says he doesn’t favor one of us over the other.”

(on if he gets frustrated by the backlash directed at Broncos QB Tim Tebow regarding his public displays of his faith) “It’s unfortunate, but it’s to be expected. We are aware as believers that we can take some criticism for standing up for our beliefs. As far as Tim is concerned, I couldn’t be prouder of a young man, I couldn’t appreciate what he’s doing more. I really am thankful that we have a brother like that taking a stand for our faith. He’s putting himself out there, and I think we need more people like that. Obviously, everybody’s not going to love you regardless of what you’re saying and doing and we understand that, but I have a lot of respect for that kid.”

(on if he envisioned playing in the Super Bowl as a little kid) “It was always Super Bowl – you wanted to make the big play in the big game, the game-winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. It was always the Super Bowl, the big game, and to actually have a chance to play in it is going to be unbelievable.”

(on if the team has rallied around Patriots’ owner Robert Kraft after the passing of his wife Myra Kraft) “Definitely. I can’t imagine being in his shoes and losing the love of your life after all of those years, and the pain that he feels. They were extremely close; they spent most of their lives together. He has been around more, he has been building a relationship with the players more, and we really appreciate that. He’s a great man – he’s always been a great man – just to see that side of him and to get to know him a little bit better this year has been special. Your heart goes out to him though, like I said, I can’t imagine how he feels and having to deal with that, but I think he’s done just about as good of job with it as anybody could have.”

(on what the players talk about with Robert Kraft when he comes in the locker room) “It can be different things. He and I can talk about spirituality, we can talk about the game, we can talk about Myra (Kraft), just different things to try and get his mind off of it and ask him how he’s doing. Like I said, I know it’s tough for him but he’s doing a great job.”


(on if it’s easier to play special teams in the Super Bowl because of the stakes) “You shouldn’t be playing (if you can’t get up for the Super Bowl). We’ll definitely have the juice and they’ll have the juice too, it’s the Super Bowl. I think in the end, it is going to come down to us playing our technique, even though it doesn’t look like there is much technique on special teams, and us playing disciplined as far as the scheme is concerned. Like I said, these guys are playing real well this time of year. The last game they had, special teams won the game. We realize that we’re in for a huge challenge, but we’re trying to do the things to prepare ourselves to meet that challenge come Sunday.”

(on the recent struggles the kick return team has had) “I think we’ve emphasized that all year. Obviously, the production isn’t up to the standard that we have set for ourselves through the course of the season. We’ve just been telling the guys to keep believing, stick to our schemes, stick to our technique, go back to the basics and we started to see some results last week. Danny (Woodhead) and Julian (Edelman) have done a good job all year long. They’re really comfortable back there. They’re really comfortable with what they’re seeing, with their reads and hopefully, we can make a play or two this game to help our offense out and help the field position game.”

(on if he’s thought about what it will feel like to run onto the field for the Super Bowl for the first time) “I’ve thought about it about 1000 times, and there is really no telling until it actually happens. I am sure there will be a lot of nerves and excitement, but I’m looking forward to that time.”

(on if his father, NFL Hall of Fame OL Jackie Slater has told him about his experience playing in the Super Bowl) “He played in Super Bowl XIV I believe it was – against the Steelers, they were leading with 11 minutes left to go in the game, I’ve heard it 1000 times. It was a great experience for him, and hopefully it will be a great experience for me.”

(on if he knows how many father-son combinations have played in the Super Bowl) “I think somebody said 14 the other day, but I’m not sure.”

(on what his father, NFL Hall of Fame OL Jackie Slater has told him about his experience playing in the Super Bowl) “He’s told me a lot about it. We’ve obviously talked about his experience over the years. I’ve had to sit down and watch the tapes of the game with him several times. He just told me to do everything I can to make sure at the end of the day I have no regrets. So as far as preparing myself to play the best football game of my career come Sunday, and leave nothing back, hold nothing back – just so I can live with no regrets.”

(on what is the greatest moment he has visualized about being in the Super Bowl) “I think as a youngster you always visualize making the big play in the big game. Making a game-winning play of some sort, leading your team to victory some way, and to actually have a chance to be a part of this team and take the field with this team on Sunday is going to be a dream come true. Win, lose or draw – obviously there won’t be a draw, but win or lose this experience is something I will take with me the rest of my life.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario