miércoles, 1 de febrero de 2012

NEW YORK GIANTS MEDIA SESSION - TIGHT END JAKE BALLARD - Ingles

Super Bowl XLVI – Wednesday, February 1, 2012

(on how he’s feeling) “I’m great. I’m excited to be here. We haven’t had practice yet. We leave here around two-or three-o’clock and head over to the University of Indianapolis and have practice there.”

(on how media day was yesterday) “It was fun. It was a nice experience. It was pretty much everything I expected. It was fun to be in the stadium and see everything that was going on.”

(on what he brings to the field) “Everything those guys (the Patriots’ tight ends) are getting is well deserved. They’re having tremendous years and they’re great tight ends. Watching film, you can learn something from those guys. I can catch the ball, stretch the field, help in the running game and pass protection game – just help Eli (Manning) get the ball off and help protect him.”

(on how important it is to have success with the running game) “That’s huge. The run sets up the pass and with our two running backs, we have to be able to get the running game started or it’s going to be a long night for us.”

(on the ability for him to have a big game with the Patriots focusing on the Giants’ receivers) “I think my role in the game will be huge. Yeah, they’re going to key on those three guys, but it’s going to be hard. You can’t really double three guys. They can only double one or two. No matter how you look at it, people are going to get open and guys are going to have their chances. So, when each of our numbers is called, we have to make plays.”

(on the attention he receives versus the attention the Patriots’ tight ends receive) “Those guys are putting up tremendous numbers and they’re such a big part of their offense. It’s tough to downplay anything they’ve done because they’ve done so well. They deserve all the attention their getting. I’m not really asked to do what those guys are, and I’m not the same type of tight end they are. I totally understand and I’m fine not getting all the attention.”

(on if it will be a challenge to have sharp practices this week) “We did most of our installments last week, so they’re [the coaches] not throwing anything at us. We have about 85 percent of our gameplan installed, so it’s not going to be new stuff. It’s just going to be tuning it up, trying to chase after perfection of the plays and make sure we get down everything we can and ready for the game.”

(on if the veterans have said they are keeping a close watch on the younger guys to make sure they are staying on task) “They’ve said stuff like that all week, and the past couple weeks. When we got here it’s all business, we can’t be worrying about what we’re doing off the field when we’re not in meetings, or at the parties or events we get invited to. We’re here to play the game and prepare for the biggest game of our lives.”

(on his feeling when he was injured) “I got hurt and missed the last two games of the regular season. It was pretty awful for me, especially against the Jets and the Cowboys, knowing I couldn’t help the team secure our playoff spot. We’ve really had about five playoff games because every game we’ve been in the last five weeks, we lose, we’re done. I was just happy I was able to get back for the playoffs and I feel better now than I ever have the whole time in the playoffs.”

(on watching the games due to injury instead of playing) “It was frustrating, but at the same time, the games weren’t really too close – the Jets game was kind of close for a little bit, but they took care of business. We played extremely well against the Cowboys so that made it a little easier watching the game. But any player who wants to play and is not, it’s a rough situation.”

(on being the son of a full time coach and playing the Super Bowl) “It’s a huge honor for any family, who’s been a football family, to have somebody in their family play in the game is a once in a lifetime experience. It’s something everybody can enjoy and live through the player playing in it.”


(on if this game is big for his dad) “Absolutely. My dad is very excited about it. He might be more excited than anybody on the team. He loves football; he grew up playing football, coaching football. He’s very ecstatic that I’m going to get a chance to play in this game.”

(on when they’re coming to Indianapolis) “They get in Thursday.”

(on how many people are coming from his family) “I think I have about 10 or 12 people coming.”

(on center Jim Cordle who lives with Ballard) “Jimmy worked extremely hard this offseason, getting stronger and working on everything he needs to work on. He’s really progressed. He was great this season, started out on the practice squad, he has been able to overcome many things. He got to play in a couple games this year and I’m really happy to see where he’s at.”

(on what he was doing when the Patriots and Giants played in Super Bowl XLII) “I was sitting at home with my parents watching the game.”

(on how it feels four years later to play in the Super Bowl) “It’s surreal. It’s kind of like it’s not true. When I was back there four years ago, I never thought I would be playing in this game for the Giants playing the exact same team, the Patriots.”

(on if there are a lot of people from Springboro, Ohio coming over for the game) “I know I got some pretty close buddies from high school that I played football with, good friends throughout college, are driving over because our high school quarterback lives in Indianapolis somewhere and they’re going to stay at his house. I might run over to see them a little on Friday or Saturday. They don’t have tickets (to the game) but they’re going to be here.”

(on what it would take to keep him from playing in the Super Bowl) “You definitely got to play in the game. It’s doesn’t matter if your leg’s barley hanging on, you’ve got to give it your all. Obviously, it comes down to not being able to run or help out your team. You have to think about it that way. It’s not my situation. I feel good and my knee feels great.”

(on tight ends coach Mike Pope) “Coach Pope knows a lot about football, and he’s trying to turn you into the best tight end you can be. He helps you out on the field, in the classroom, wherever he can. I don’t really know if his coaching style is old school. I know he’s changed it over the years. But, I know he’s an all-around good coach and very knowledgeable person.”

(on what Coach Pope goes over) “Everything. The tight ends are one of the few positions we have to be able to pass protect, we have to be able to run block, we have to be able to move, play fullback, play H-back and run routes. He’s very knowledgeable about the run game, the pass game and the pass protection.”

(on showing Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski around in college) “Yeah, I showed him around at Ohio State.”

(on what he remembers about that) “He was a big kid coming out of Pennsylvania. He was kind of quiet, taking it all in. He seemed like a good guy, but when it came down to it, there was me and a junior playing at Ohio State. I think he wanted to get a little further away from home than Ohio State being a Pennsylvania kid. He obviously made the right choice with Arizona. He seemed to like it, but sometimes players go to different schools.”

(on if his quiet demeanor struck him the most) “I didn’t really spend a lot of time with him. I was probably with him only an hour. I showed a lot of kids around so I didn’t really think anything last year when I got into the league and he was doing what he was doing. He was just another recruit I was showing around.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario