martes, 31 de enero de 2012

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS MEDIA DAY - ASSISTANT HEAD COACH/OFFENSIVE LINE DANTE SCARNECCHIA - Ingles

Super Bowl XLVI – Tuesday, January 31, 2012

(on if Super Bowl XLVI will be more of a challenge than other years) “No more than any others. We’re not the devoid of talent. We have a Pro Bowl left tackle, a Pro Bowl center, a Pro Bowl left guard, a number one draft choice and Brian Waters who is a Pro Bowl guard. We’re not swinging a bat with no one. We’ve got pretty good guys, and guys that have experience. They’re good guys, tough guys. We’ve had to juggle some balls, which is something that all coaches have to do. I don’t think anything we’ve done this year is dramatic or anything that anyone in the league hasn’t tried to work through. ”

(on having two rookies starting on the offensive line) “You can’t lose your mind over that. You get them ready to go and do everything you can to give them as much information that will allow them to be successful. Then they go out there and they have to play.”

(on if he ever had the desire to be a head coach) “At one time. Probably a long time ago I felt that my time had passed. I’m not moving. I’m staying, we’re done. We are where we’re going to live the rest of our lives. I’m very fortunate. To be able to stay in one place that long is really rare and we treat it as a blessing.”

(on remaining with the team after various coaching changes) “I don’t know how to explain it. I didn’t work for (Bill) Parcells before. I knew Pete Carroll. I didn’t know (Dick) MacPherson and he hired me back. He’s the best, he is really a great guy.”

(on telling Bill Belichick that the guys are ‘his guys’) “I never say that. When he comes over and whatever he has to say, he says. We always say the head coach is the overseer of the program, he’s the conscience of the program. When he sees things that he thinks aren’t quite right, he says it—believe me he says it. Then it’s everyone’s job from then on to embrace it and do things the way he wants. Believe me, these aren’t my guys. I’ve never used that term. These are the guys that we’re fortunate to coach and we just do the best we can with it. They do a great job. They put up with me and I give them credit.”

(on a specific prototype for an offensive lineman) “I value these traits: they have to be smart, tough and athletic enough. They don’t have to be the greatest athletes in the world but they have to be athletic enough to play the position. Smart, toughness, if you don’t have those two things I think you have a hard time playing, especially in our system. And then athletic enough. They don’t have to be the greatest athletes in the world but they just have guys that can be where they’re supposed to be and go where they’re supposed to go in the manner we want it done.”

(on Dan Connolly coming up from the practice squad) “He’s a very talented guy though. He’s a really gifted athlete. He just came from a very small school. However it was, wherever it was he had been before, it didn’t work out very well. But he came in here and spent his time on the practice field, did everything he was supposed to do. He improved himself as a player and he’s a very good center. The first thing I noticed was his athleticism. ”

(on Nate Solder’s progression) “He’s gone through the usual rookie tough times and his bad times weren’t even remotely close to Matt Light’s bad times. But he’s a gifted athlete, a very smart guy and very tough. Thank God we took him when you think about it. We didn’t have (Matt) Light at the time. All of the sudden we get some injuries at tackle with Sebastian (Vollmer) and here’s this guy you have to start and play against really good players. The fact that he’s playing tight end and tackle on either side, to his credit how could you want any more out of a young kid than we have this year?”

(on if he anticipated Marcus Cannon contributing this year) “Well we all hoped for the best in Week 6 when he was going to be able to come back. I think what really hurt him the most was not being in training camp and the OTA’s among other things. Let alone, the illness that he had and to come back when he did. He’s behind, he’s truly behind. But he’s a wonderful kid with a great upside and again, another tough and smart guy that we’re very pleased to have.”

(on why he chose a career as an offensive line coach) “Well I actually played as an offensive lineman, believe it or not. I was a watch charm guard. When I got done playing at California Western University in San Diego, they asked me to coach the offensive line, so I automatically gravitated toward that.”

(on what he enjoys about the offensive line) “I like the challenge of position, it’s a hard position to play. Very unselfish people and the least athletic of all positions, no doubt. I think the challenges that go along with that are obvious. It’s where my expertise is, so it’s where I’m more comfortable.”

(on the offensive line playing together as a unit) “We have two sayings: work together and see the game through one set of eyes. All five guys have to see the game through one set of eyes. If they see it differently then you have chaos; anarchy reigns and it never works. So, if they just all see the game the same way, and we constantly check that and question if they all understand. I think they get crazy with the obsession of all of that, but it is what it is and they all have to see it that way. If we do a great job on our mental assignments and don’t screw many things up, in particular in pass protection, we usually do ok. But if we’re a little out here or one guy, God forbid is to the right, then all hell is going to break loose where we want it to break loose.”

(on Logan Mankins’ season this year) “I think he had a great year, he picked right back up where he left off last year. I think he’s had a really exceptional year, very consistent, great effort throughout, has taken on the leadership role. He’s an outstanding player, good person and pleasure to coach in many respects.”

(on Matt Light’s role and ability) “He plays a very tough position and he’s been a consistent player and leader on this football team for a long time. We’re all very glad that he did come back to us and he’s had a nice year.”

(on coaching under Offensive Coordinator, Bill O’Brien) “Billy has done a great job in the two years that he’s coordinated here. He’s taken in the system and added his nuances and personality to it. I think the players really like him and they really want to play well for him. Just like the guys before him, he will be missed when he goes. We’re better for having him and the system is better for having him. I really like Billy.”

(on what makes Tom Brady great) “I think he’s really bright and driven to succeed. I think he’s so offensive line-friendly from a standpoint that he tries to put those guys in the best positions possible via how he identifies those guys on defense. Then the most important thing we’ve come to appreciate about Tom over the years is that he gets the ball out really fast and in a rhythm most of the time and that makes it a lot easier to play up quite honestly. From my selfish standpoint, I think those are the things that really make him stand out. He’s a pleasure to be around. We’ve been lucky for a long time with this guy, that he’s our quarterback.”

(on being a difficult coach to play for) “I think I’m easy to get along with. I’m not going to write my own story. I know I want things done a certain way. It’s important that we all do things a certain way. Especially when critical things come up, that everyone knows what they expect of one another. I think those things are really important.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario