martes, 31 de enero de 2012

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS MEDIA DAY - WIDE RECEIVER/DEFENSIVE BACK JULIAN EDELMAN - Ingles

Super Bowl XLVI – Tuesday, January 31, 2012

(on aspiring to be the next Wes Welker) “That is, obviously, a huge compliment from people that say that. But Wes (Welker) is too good to have me in the same sentence with him. He is an accomplished player, the guy is consistent and it is an honor to even be in the same sentence with him.”

(on playing offense and defense for the first time in his life) “It is exciting. After a game, when you feel like you’ve contributed to a team win, there is nothing better than that. Anyway that you can help the team, is always awesome.”

(on what it means to be playing in the Super Bowl) “This is the ultimate dream for a kid that grew up playing football. This is why you play the game, and we have a great opportunity ahead of us.”

(on preparing for the Super Bowl as an offensive and defensive player) “Depending on the week and stuff, depending on my role in the situation of each game, sometimes I have to be in the offensive meetings, and sometimes I have to be in the defensive (meetings). If I wasn’t in the offense, or if I wasn’t in the defense, then I will meet with the coach after practice when everyone is gone and kind of get the tips there and prepare myself best for the game.”

(on being informed that he would be playing defense) “It kind of just came up and (they) said, ‘you are going to be in a defensive meeting today.’ You are not going to say ‘no’ to an opportunity, so I went with it.”

(on whether being a defensive back has helped him as a wide receiver) “Yeah, you are learning football in general. Learning how (defensive backs) are taught, what their techniques are and everything definitely helps you out a little bit on the other side of the ball. It is complimenting me and it is making me a better football player.”

(on New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham’s comments about being covered by Edelman) “I am not really worried about what Mario Manningham is saying right now. I am more focused on doing my job, and that is preparing right now. We will see if that opportunity comes ahead of us in the game.”

(on preparing for the Super Bowl with all of the distractions surrounding the team) “We are kind of used to it. It is not to this magnitude, but after (media day) we will just try to get the day nice and regular like it always is.”

(on whether he has relied upon learning the defensive fundamentals or playing with instincts while transitioning to defensive back) “A little bit of both. I am not going to go out there and try to flood my mind with all of the techniques and everything, because that will just slow you down and not let you react. I just kind of go out there. Of course I watch the film of my practices and everything, and I will go out there and watch some film on Ronde Barber, Charles Woodson and some of the better inside corners. You just watch what they do, and more importantly, I just watch what the other team does. I try to prepare for any kind of recognition of them.”

(on what he would have said if someone would have told him that he would be playing defensive back against the Ravens in the AFC Championship) “I would have said, ‘I haven’t played that position.’ It has definitely been a crazy road this year. As a team, we have had to overcome injuries. As an individual, I have had to overcome a bunch of stuff. It is definitely very exciting to be in this situation, and to have this opportunity to play in the Super Bowl on the biggest stage in the world.”

(on being targeted by opposing offenses) “You would think, but I don’t think I’ve had that many balls caught on me. Not to say that I’ve been doing such a great job, but the coaches have done a great job of helping me out with the scheme and preparing me each week on what I have to focus on, instead of focusing on the big picture of the defense. (They) are just giving me my little things to focus on when I have my opportunity to get in there and have a chance to play.”

(on whether his preparation has gotten easier over time on the defensive side of the football) “The only thing that has gotten easier is just the terminology, knowing what the defensive side’s terminology is instead of offense, because it is completely different. The same thing can have two meanings, the same word or concept. I have gradually gotten better at getting that down, so now I can talk defense with the defensive guys instead of having one of the coaches translate my offensive terms into the defensive terms. It has definitely been getting better.”

(on how much his experience as a quarterback at Kent State translates to his play as a wide receiver and defensive back) “It definitely helps that I was a quarterback. Not to say that I have it all down, but the fact that I could breakdown coverage when I first got in the NFL, I knew coverage recognition and all of that stuff. I may not have been able to run a route when I first got in the NFL and all of that, but I could go in mid-route and see what the defense was giving us. That is the only part that has helped. Not to say that I am an All-Pro at it, but it has definitely helped.”

(on his reaction to the perception that the offense was carrying the defense) “My reaction is that our team plays complimentary football. Our defense gets turnovers, and they make plays when they have to. Anytime that you win a ballgame it is because of both sides, that’s for sure.”

(on what New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning’s one weakness is) “I haven’t really seen many. The guy is tough, he can throw, he stays in the pocket, he makes big-time throws, he converts on third downs and he’s good in the red area. Eli Manning is really good.”

(on being concerned about facing the Giants’ wide receivers) “I am not really thinking about that, but we will see on Sunday. I am thinking more about just preparing.”

(on whether opposing wide receivers are impressed by his transition to defensive back) “You talk a little bit with the receivers, and some of them respect your game and some of them don’t. You are going to get that anywhere, but you’ve had your conversations with guys like, ‘I respect your game for doing that.’”

(on the standard of success that quarterback Tom Brady has established for the team) “Playing with Tom Brady makes you better. He is such a perfectionist. The way he prepares and the way that he’s a professional, it is great for younger guys like me to learn (from). I am fortunate enough to sit next to him in the locker room and try to do everything that he does, because he is a guy that is going to go down as one of the greatest of all time. So he definitely has a standard, and it is not always easy to play for a guy like that, because he demands perfection. But you love playing for a guy like that, because he does (demand perfection).”

(on some of the challenges that players from smaller collegiate conferences face when entering the NFL) “Usually the MAC guys have a chip on their shoulder because they feel like they were snubbed their opportunity to play big-time ball in college. I think that is what helps small school guys get into the NFL. We are hungry.”

(on having a chip on his shoulder when he entered the NFL) “Yeah, because you go in and see guys talking about Alabama and they just won a National Championship or this bowl game. Well, I never went to a bowl game, and I really don’t care. I am here to play football in the NFL now, so that is kind of what you have to be.”

(on whether he has been able to enjoy his first couple of days in Indianapolis) “We had a full practice yesterday, and we are trying to keep it pretty normal, but obviously you are a little overwhelmed with the whole Media Day and everything. It is definitely a cool experience and a very memorable one. I don’t think I’ve soaked it in as much as I should, because I am trying to stay on that plan. Football players, we are all creatures of habit, and trying to stay in the same routine is crucial to the week.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario