martes, 27 de enero de 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers -1- Martes 27/1/09

Super Bowl XLIII – Tuesday, January 27, 2009

QUOTES FROM PITTSBURGH STEELERS MEDIA DAY


QB BEN ROETHLISBERGER


(on dealing with the hoopla of Media Day) “It’s crazy. But you just enjoy it, though. You have to be able to enjoy it and have fun with it. You don’t want it to overwhelm you and bog you down and be real annoying.”


(on approaching Media Day differently this year) “I’m just having fun with it. The first time when I was sitting up here, I was a little more nervous dealing with all of this and not really knowing what is going on. This time I’m having fun with it, the same way I’m approaching the game.”


(on changing his preparation for this Super Bowl) “I’m treating it more like a game. Yeah, it’s a Super Bowl and we have an opponent, but it’s just about having fun. I treated it like a big game the first time and it didn’t work out so well for me. I’m going to try to treat it like it’s a normal game. You know what’s going on and you know it’s more than just that, but I’m just going to come out here and have fun on Sunday.”


(on differences in preparation between Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin) “Coach Cowher was cool, calm and collected around here because he’s been around a long time. Not that Coach Tomlin is not, but you can tell that Coach Tomlin is giddy like we are. Coach Cowher was like ‘I’ve been here before.’”


(on if he likes Tomlin’s laid-back approach) “Yeah, it’s fun. Not anything against Coach Cowher; he was a lot of fun too. Coach Tomlin just seems like he’s one of us and is out here having fun like we are.”


(on if he’s preparing for Hines Ward to play) “If you asked me last week right after the game, I knew Hines was going to be out on the football field. I know he will be 100% and he will tell you that he’s going to be 100% out there.”


(on who inspires him on the field) “I learn off my experiences talking to guys like Dan Marino and Jim Kelly, guys that know and have been here and are big-time players. For me to hear from guys who have done it and have that experience and are great players, it really means a lot.”


(on who approaches him on the team about his experience) “Some of the offensive linemen that haven’t been here or didn’t play in it the first time, those are the guys that I obviously talk to and try to calm down. I try and tell them that after all this, it’s just a football game. Go out and have fun and enjoy it, and don’t be overwhelmed. The kickoff and the flashes go off and that’s a great feeling. After that just put it past you and go play football.”


(on comparing the QB class of 2004 to the class of 1983) “Those 1983 class guys are Hall of Famers. They have done it for such a long period of time. We are getting some Super Bowls between us, but hopefully one day they will be able to compare us.”


(on Arizona’s defense) “They are playing great football right now. Their secondary is flying around, making plays all over the place. Their defensive line seems to be in the backfield on every play. We are going to have our hands full.”


(on if he was surprised that Arizona made it to the Super Bowl) “Coach Ken Whisenhunt is a great coach. They have some great players. Kurt Warner is a great quarterback. They were kind of a surprise, but they had that desire to get there.”


(on if he was upset with his performance in Super Bowl XL) “I’ve always said that, when the game was over, it was such an unbelievable feeling to win a Super Bowl. As time passed, I got a little upset that I didn’t play so well and that I didn’t help the team win the game. Yeah, it fuels the fire to want to come out and play a better game next time.”


(on Kurt Warner) “I think Kurt Warner is a phenomenal football player. He has gone through so much and done so much. I love watching him play. He throws an unbelievable pass. I have a lot of respect for him and the way he plays the game.”


(on how it would feel to win two Super Bowls) “It would be awesome. To have the opportunity to win one is an amazing thing. The opportunity to play for two is great and if we can win it, even better.”


(on Baltimore DE Trevor Pryce telling the Cardinals not to blitz) “That’s great. It’s a great compliment. I hope they don’t blitz because it means that I won’t get hit and I can just sit back there.”


(on if it helps the offense to have a good defense) “Definitely. Any time that you have a defense that does the things that our defense does, it’s really amazing. It helps you, especially as a quarterback, to know that if you do mistake, they have your back.”


(on the offensive line being able to battle through adversity this season) “I’m really proud of the way they’ve played. They’ve come together as sort of a makeshift line. Guys have been thrown into positions and they have done such a great job against some tremendous defenses throughout the year. They believed in themselves and I believed in them when no one else did. They have been playing the underdog card all year, and they should.”


(on the greatest lesson he’s learned since his rookie year) “Well, about this game, I just treat it as another game. Don’t get too overwhelmed with it. In general, I’ve learned to be able to put mistakes and bad games behind me.”


(on the success of the Steelers’ franchise) “I think it starts at the top with the owners: the Rooney family. They find ways to always have great coaches who find ways to get great players. I think it’s just wanting to play for a team, an organization and a city like Pittsburgh; it’s a love.”


(on the perceptions of the Steelers) “I think it’s winners. It’s hard-nosed and playing grind-it-out football. It doesn’t matter where we play, in the mud, in the rain, in bad weather, in snow or whatever it is. It’s just about finding a way to win. It may not be the prettiest way, but we find a way to win.”


(on the importance of the Steelers’ history) “You have to know about your history. You know about the past when you see the Lombardi trophies every day when you walk in there. It motivates you to try to accomplish something like they did.”


(on his ability to make plays) “I don’t know how I do it. I stay alive, scramble around, play back-yard football and let someone get open. That’s what’s so special about our guys is that the receivers get open when that happens, it’s old school-yard football.


(on what Mike Tomlin has brought to the team) “He brings a young energetic personality and mentality. He’s chest-bumping, he’s high-fiving, he’s jumping around and the guys feed off that.”


(on what Whisenhunt did for him) “He was a great mentor to me. He really helped me a lot early on and helped me develop into who I’m becoming and who I am. I owe him a lot. I really do. I talked to him here a little while ago. We have a great relationship. I look forward to playing some golf with him, I just need to get my game better first.”



CB BRYANT MCFADDEN

(on being friends with Cardinals DT Darnell Dockett) “Oh, no questions. As a matter of fact, we were chilling a little bit yesterday when they got in. He and Quan [Anquan Boldin], we all were pretty much together at Florida State before they left early. We all have a close knit relationship.”


(on how Dockett grown since college) “As far as on the football field, he’s becoming into a leader of his own. He is a dominating individual. Off the football field, he is a class act.”


(on how Tyrone Carter gets on the field with Troy Polamalu playing ahead of him) “We have packages, different packages. Troy [Polamalu] is a guy who is going to be on the football field. If we had seven downs, he is going to be on there 10 downs. We have different packages that we are able to get a guy like Ty in. When he gets in there, he may play five or six plays but he is going to make plays while he is in there. His resume speaks for itself.”


(on Florida State University guys being a part of the Super Bowl) “It’s a blessing to be here at another Super Bowl and to have the guys we have here from Florida State, I think we have five. It’s an honor. It just goes to show you what type of guys we have at the Florida State University and being able to play there and branch out to the NFL.”


(on discussing the Super Bowl with former FSU players that have played) “Not yet, but it is early in the week and you will get a chance to socialize with a lot of people throughout the course of the week about the upcoming game and take the insight on things to get ready for and know how to handle it.”


(on going up against former FSU teammate Anquan Boldin) “It is going to be like practice, just like it was. He is going to be out there joking around and I am going to be out there joking around, talking trash to one another. One thing about a guy like Anquan, he is a guy that is going to go hard a 100%. When we were in practice we always had duels going back and forth, so that’s the kind of match up I am expecting on Sunday.”


(on how it feels being a starter in this Super Bowl) “Just know that I am going to have more repetitions than I did in ‘05 in Detroit. I was the third corner, so I was coming in different packages and different pass situations. But knowing I am going to be out there from day one and everybody is going to get a chance to see my name come across and I get to let them know where I am from, that’s a big difference and being prepared to just see every thing from the opposing offense.”


(on how Kurt Warner brings out the best in his receivers) “He is playing on an MVP level especially in the playoffs. He is so mature. He has seen all the defenses you can show him throughout the course of his years. He is playing at a high level of confidence right now. He is putting the ball in position that they can successfully come down with it. He looks off DBs, linebackers and if possible he would look off some D linemen if possible. He is a savvy, savvy man, so you have to expect things like that from him.”


(on the impact of a game like this and the importance of playing well) “It is always important, not only because of the situation of this game but every time we get a chance to step out on Sunday, my goal is to have a great game and be able to be an asset to us getting close to a victory. That’s always my motive; everything else will follow. My first goal is to be in a situation to make sure I play the way I need to play and be consistent.”


(on not being able to buy this kind of exposure) “No question, you have to enjoy this. It is an exciting feeling, being here for another Super Bowl and getting ready to play the Arizona Cardinals. I’m geeked up right now and I really can’t explain it to you.”



SS TROY POLAMALU


(on what it’s like to be at the Super Bowl) “Being at the Super Bowl is obviously an honor, as well as it being my second time in six years. Being in Tampa is a blessing as well. We didn’t really get to experience much in Detroit because the weather was much colder than it is here, so it’s nice.”


(on if he is going to do anything different in his second Super Bowl) “Not really. I guess we had a pretty successful formula in Detroit. I just think that this atmosphere provides more fun for our families.”


(on the emotions he will feel on Sunday) “I don’t know. Every game kind of has emotions and an experience in itself. I would anticipate this being the same thing, different from any other Super Bowl, different from any other game.”


(on if having Super Bowl experience provides an advantage) “I think that experience can never be replaced. Having six years of experience in the NFL, having experience with the media changes things as well.”


(on what the Lord has shown him between his first Super Bowl and now) “A whole lot. Like I said before, experience, life experiences, I’m a father, thank god, now and a couple years of marriage since then so obviously that brings on a whole new aspect in itself.”


(on if safeties are starting to get more noticed) “I wouldn’t say me in general; I would say safeties all over the NFL are starting to get more noticed. I think the way the offenses are really starting to evolve; maybe safeties are starting to evolve as well. You need a safety that’s able to play the run and pass equally well. Safeties have become a big focal point in every defense now, scheme wise as well.”


(on being able to play the pass and run equally well) “In Coach (Dick) LeBeau’s scheme, you kind of have to do that. He would find anybody to be able to do that. Fortunately I am in that position here.”


(on what the Steelers have to do to stop the Cardinals passing game) “We have a winning formula ourselves as they do as well. I think people have done a great job of being in position to make plays with him, but they’re just not making them. When you have a guy like Larry Fitzgerald who can out-jump two guys to get the football, there is nothing you can do about that. You just have to realize that he is a great player, they have a great quarterback (Kurt Warner), a great scheme and he makes great plays. I think it would be big to limit those plays.”


(on the Steelers being favored against the Cardinals) “I think first of all, as football players, as athletes in general, we don’t really care what you guys say about these type of things. Quite honestly, the media feeds off these predictions. Our mentality whether we’re favored or the underdog has always been, ‘The game has got to be played.’ A lot of the times they are wrong. The odds makers probably never had the Cardinals or the Steelers in the Super Bowl anyway. All of that stuff is really thrown out the window. Once you get between the lines, you’re just worried about the play that is at hand. You can never really give any credence to that.”


(on Mike Tomlin earning his stripes as a young head coach) “I don’t think he had to earn his stripes because he was successful from the very onset of his head coaching career. We also believe that as a team, whoever the Rooney’s choose, it will be best fitting for our team as well. It’s been a tremendous blessing for us to have him as a head coach. It’s really unique in a sense that he’s younger and he’s more hip, more GQ than you would see any other coach. In that, he’s more compassionate, more sympathetic to what we experience as players: one, being the youth, and two, being a similar cultural background as a lot of the players as well.”


(on if he is surprised to see more teams go for younger head coaches now) “In every aspect from coaching changes to philosophy to scheduling, this is such a copycat league. This is just another trend. When an 80-year old coach wins a Super Bowl you know you’re going to see guys coming out of the woodworks to be head coaches again.


(on who has better hair between him or Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald) “Him, by far. Him because it probably takes him much shorter time to get prepared than me.”


(on the challenges the Cardinals passing game presents) “Whenever you have a passing game with a quarterback who is able to read how defenses develop, as well as putting the ball on the money, along with great receivers who are always going to catch the ball, it’s always going to be difficult for any defender. This is really unique in a sense because they have two of the best wide receivers in the game. Even when they are in position not to make plays, they make the plays. When a cornerback makes a great play on the ball, they are still making plays and you can never substitute for that.”


(on why Larry Fitzgerald is so good despite his claim that he’s not very fast) “He’s from Pittsburgh, that’s a big jump. He can jump first of all. I think he’s just being very humble, and he’s fast. He’s a great athlete, as well as Anquan (Boldin).”


(on how to stop Larry Fitzgerald) “I don’t know. Nobody has really been able to contain him at all yet.”


(on the military overseas) “I hope we can bring you guys a lot of joy on Sunday to be able to transplant you back to the states and really make you guys feel like you’re at home. Sometimes in our daily lives, things get so redundant we become ungrateful for what us citizens here in the states go through. We really do appreciate everything that you guys do for us and we all believe that with sincerity.”


(on the devastating hits by safeties this season and the game being so dangerous) “Yeah, it’s very dangerous. This is a dangerous sport. Guys get beaned with balls in baseball, but that’s all part of the danger in the sport; you’re not going to take that away. You’re not going to take a pitcher out for hitting somebody. Hits have always been a part of this game, from the very beginning of football and quite honestly, it’s what has driven this game. It’s what fans are attracted to and it’s what people make the money off of.”


(on the strongest part of the Steelers) “The strongest part of our team is our leadership. James Farrior, Hines Ward, guys who have been on this team for a long time have really set a foundation for us younger guys.”


(on the play of Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson) “Every year after every season I always take guys like Bob Sanders, Ed Reed, Rodney Harrison, I’ve always broken down all of their film and kind of made a highlight film of all of them. Adrian Wilson was also a player who I’ve done as well and I try to take a lot from each player and try to mold it into my game. Adrian Wilson is obviously the top, the way he blitzes, the way he plays run support, his sheer athleticism is pretty amazing.”


(on safeties becoming more all-around players) “Since Ed Reed started making all of those plays a few years ago, the safeties have really gotten a lot more notice. Guys like Rodney Harrison and even guys before that like Ronnie Lott, there were always big safety names that were in and out. Now safeties have become a big trend because the evolution of offenses has changed so much.”


(on the advice he gives to teammates about Media Day) “Sometimes when you’re watching TV, you kind of say, ‘That’s awesome, these guys are going to this Media Day right now and I know what it’s like.’ It’s quite an honor to be here sitting again and to have all of this attention. It’s pretty amazing, but you can never really prepare for anything like this until you go through it.”


(on what cornerback Deshea Townsend means to the Steelers defense) “He is the leader of our secondary. He has his hand in everybody’s career to this point. He’s done so much for me in my career and this whole secondary can say the same.”


(on if he will ever cut his hair) “The last Super Bowl, I won Hairstyle of the Year from you guys, but you guys probably gave it away earlier today, didn’t you? I’m just making my campaign.”



SPECIAL TEAMS COACH BOB LIGASHESKY


(on Cardinals WR Steve Breaston's kick return abilities) “I knew Steve when we were recruiting him when I was at the University of Pittsburgh and he was a great player - The kind of person that he is, the offseason workouts that he displayed with the Arizona Cardinals and also what he did last year when we kicked to him. Steve can get to a lot of balls, he has great range. He’s a sure-handed catch guy, and he has the ability and elusiveness to make you miss and go the distance.”


(on how the Steelers will prepare for Breaston) “We will prepare for him as if he is one of the best returners in the game. We respect every guy that we play against. Right now, he’s the best that we’re going to play.”


(on how Breaston compares to Chargers RB Daren Sproles) “They’re both outstanding returners, but they’re different kind of guys. Daren has probably more turnover, sharper cuts, quickness doesn’t slow down when he makes his moves. Steve is more elusive with ability to make him miss, but both of them have the ability to go the distance and score. We respect both men’s ability to the highest degree.”


(on if he thought his coaching career starting in the college ranks would lead him to his hometown team and then to the Super Bowl) “Absolutely. I thought about it all of the time. You become what you think about most. Like I told you earlier, the vision started when I was younger and it’s not complete until you win a Super Bowl.”


(on if he is having a good time) “It’s absolutely a fun week. How can you not be excited about being at the Super Bowl? I’ve got so many people that I’ve leaned on in the coaching profession and know that never had the opportunity. Like Coach (Mike) Tomlin said, ‘We’re going to embrace this.’ This is just an absolutely, positively outstanding thing to be a part of.”


(on if his coaches at Indiana University of Pennsylvania were big factors in his development) “In every phase of football that I have been through, from youth football all the way until now, I’ve had guys that I have drawn and learned from and taken with me. But, specifically at IUP, Frank Condino has had a lot to do with my personal beliefs on and off of the football field. I just have a lot of respect for him. I love the guy. He was honest with me when I was playing and helpful and insightful. He was an inspiration to me not only on the football field, but how he conducted himself off of the football field. That was a lot of how I saw him, and he taught me a lot about how to be a man in life.”


(on if Frank Condino coached him) “He was my position coach when I played at Indiana. The other guy that was good to me at IUP was Frank Cignetti. He’s just a great football guy and another guy that’s kept in touch with me throughout my coaching career. He’s had a lot to do with my growth as well.”


(on going back to IUP and being the keynote speaker at the school’s annual All-American and Championships banquet) “It’s always something to be able to come back to where your roots are and hopefully give back and hopefully be an example to somebody else to follow. Don’t be afraid to chase your dreams.”



DE BRETT KEISEL


(on not being a starter in the 2005 Super Bowl) “Right, I was a special teams ace. I am extremely excited about the opportunity to start in this Super BowL. It’s a great feeling to see all the hard work we have put into this year come down to this.”


(on being nervous) “I am nervous. We were in the locker room changing into these silly tights and I was just thinking how incredible it is to be here and kind of just soaking it all in. I started to really get nervous sitting here being at the stadium. I know it is early but it’s such a huge game and hopefully we come out on top.”


(on what has impressed him most about the Arizona Cardinals) “I think just the way their offensive line is playing. Russ Grimm, who was a big part of my development as a player, is coaching those guys now and also he has those guys lined up. They are protecting Kurt Warner very well, giving him time to read his receivers and make the right throws. They are playing really well now. We have our hands full.”


(on the relationships with former Pittsburgh members that are now with Arizona) “There is a lot of text trash talking going on right now. Texting is this whole new thing. We are not calling, we are just texting. It’s been a lot of fun. Sean Morey, Brian St. Pierre, Jerheme Tuman, and obviously the coaching staff are down there in Arizona so I have a lot of love and respect for those guys and it’s a great opportunity to see them again.”


(on some of the texts that have been exchanged) “I asked Sean Morey, who is going to Hawaii for his first Pro Bowl--which is outstanding-- I asked him who he is blocking on kickoff return so I could know who to go after on the coverage.”


(on the key to the Pittsburgh high level of play) “I think we are playing so well together as a team. If one guy gets beat the other ten guys are rallying to the ball and that has been our biggest focus this year: run to the ball. They might be able to beat one guy, but they can’t beat all of us. I think all of us play with that mentality on defense and that’s going to be the key.”


(on if the second trip to the Super Bowl is easier) “I think it a little easier this time around just because we have so many guys that have been there and done this. People know what to expect and that has made it easier this year.”


(on what he has done to enjoy himself this week) “Not too much. I’m just trying to get the lay out of the land down here. Today after we get done speaking to you great people, we are going to go and hit the beach I think. I need to get some sun on my white skin. The beach is beautiful. I have got my nine-month-old son down here and it’s his first opportunity to go and see and smell the ocean, so I am excited about that.”


(on wearing white jerseys) “We will take it. In Detroit we wore white. We wore white all the way getting there. This year, we had two home playoff games, so it is kind of different being in white, but I like white. White works.”


(on if white jerseys could help with the weather) “I think so. Shield the sun a little bit. We are not worried weather or anything. We are just worried about going and playing good football.”


(on his hobbies) “In my free time, I like to hang out with my family. I like to fish. I love the outdoors, so basically anything outdoors I enjoy.”


(on how this Super Bowl compares to the last one) “It’s nice and warm and sunny and I didn’t get a chance to talk to a junior reporter, so that has been exciting. It is a great feeling to be able to play for my second Super Bowl.”


(on visiting the University of South Florida practice facility) “We went over there and worked out yesterday. Some of their team was in there working out, getting swollen. It’s a nice facility and we are excited that they let us use it.”


(on his impression of USF campus) “It’s nice. I really didn’t get a chance to really look around the campus but the weather down here is fabulous. It seems to me their football team was really working hard in there so that’s nice to see.”


(on if he lifted weights during the campus visit) “ I did. I just did my legs. I wasn’t getting all involved in the squats those guys were doing. I was doing just lunges and simple stuff.”


(on not being a starter in the 2005 Super Bowl) “Right, I was a special teams ace. I am extremely excited about the opportunity to start in this Super BowL. It’s a great feeling to see all the hard work we have put into this year come down to this.”


(on being nervous) “I am nervous. We were in the locker room changing into these silly tights and I was just thinking how incredible it is to be here and kind of just soaking it all in. I started to really get nervous sitting here being at the stadium. I know it is early but it’s such a huge game and hopefully we come out on top.”


(on what has impressed him most about the Arizona Cardinals) “I think just the way their offensive line is playing. Russ Grimm, who was a big part of my development as a player, is coaching those guys now and also he has those guys lined up. They are protecting Kurt Warner very well, giving him time to read his receivers and make the right throws. They are playing really well now. We have our hands full.”


(on the relationships with former Pittsburgh members that are now with Arizona) “There is a lot of text trash talking going on right now. Texting is this whole new thing. We are not calling, we are just texting. It’s been a lot of fun. Sean Morey, Brian St. Pierre, Jerheme Tuman, and obviously the coaching staff are down there in Arizona so I have a lot of love and respect for those guys and it’s a great opportunity to see them again.”


(on some of the texts that have been exchanged) “I asked Sean Morey, who is going to Hawaii for his first Pro Bowl--which is outstanding-- I asked him who he is blocking on kickoff return so I could know who to go after on the coverage.”


(on the key to the Pittsburgh high level of play) “I think we are playing so well together as a team. If one guy gets beat the other ten guys are rallying to the ball and that has been our biggest focus this year: run to the ball. They might be able to beat one guy, but they can’t beat all of us. I think all of us play with that mentality on defense and that’s going to be the key.”


(on if the second trip to the Super Bowl is easier) “I think it a little easier this time around just because we have so many guys that have been there and done this. People know what to expect and that has made it easier this year.”


(on what he has done to enjoy himself this week) “Not too much. I’m just trying to get the lay out of the land down here. Today after we get done speaking to you great people, we are going to go and hit the beach I think. I need to get some sun on my white skin. The beach is beautiful. I have got my nine-month-old son down here and it’s his first opportunity to go and see and smell the ocean, so I am excited about that.”


(on wearing white jerseys) “We will take it. In Detroit we wore white. We wore white all the way getting there. This year, we had two home playoff games, so it is kind of different being in white, but I like white. White works.”


(on if white jerseys could help with the weather) “I think so. Shield the sun a little bit. We are not worried weather or anything. We are just worried about going and playing good football.”


(on his hobbies) “In my free time, I like to hang out with my family. I like to fish. I love the outdoors, so basically anything outdoors I enjoy.”


(on how this Super Bowl compares to the last one) “It’s nice and warm and sunny and I didn’t get a chance to talk to a junior reporter, so that has been exciting. It is a great feeling to be able to play for my second Super Bowl.”


(on visiting the University of South Florida practice facility) “We went over there and worked out yesterday. Some of their team was in there working out, getting swollen. It’s a nice facility and we are excited that they let us use it.”



LB JAMES FARRIOR

(on if he expects the Cardinals to spread them out) “We expect everything. It’s the Super Bowl, so everything goes. We know they’re a high-powered offense and they’re going to try to get the ball to their great receivers they have to make plays. We definitely expect a little bit of everything.”


(on teams trying to spread them out this year) “I don’t think teams really tried to spread us out too much this year.”


(on the support from the fans in Pittsburgh) “The fans are great. They’ve always been great. They always support the Steelers win or lose and to have that support is really a good feeling and having the whole city behind you is a really good feeling. They want us to win just as bad as we do.”


(on Super Bowl XL being mostly Steelers fans) “Yeah, it felt like a home game. I expect it to be a little similar to that this year, too.”


(on how his faith is important to him) “That’s what it’s all about. You’ve got to give thanks to the man up above. He puts us here. It’s definitely nothing that we do; it’s always something that comes from him. It’s a great blessing and we all appreciate that we’re in the Super Bowl and we’re having a lot of success, and you definitely want to thank the man above.”


(on why faith is important to him) “If you don’t have faith, you don’t have anything. I feel like faith is the most important thing with anything that you do. Having faith brings a lot of success.”


(on his emotions on being back to the Super Bowl a second time) “It never gets old. To be in this position again; it’s another dream come true. You never think you can get there one time and to have another opportunity to be there twice is a great accomplishment. I’ve just got to thank my teammates and thank the coaches, the staff and the Rooney family. They’ve been a great organization and we all made this possible.”


(on what he learned from his first media day experience) “I think the experience of being there the first time, you kind of know what to expect with days like this. You kind of look back on it and it’s a hectic time to prepare to come to the Super Bowl. You’ve got the tickets, you’ve got your family, the hotel stuff, and you have everything going on. I think the second time around, you’re a little bit more equipped to deal with those sorts of things.”


(on if it’s much different playing the Super Bowl in a warm-weather city) “Not really. I think we’re going to do the same thing we did last time. Last night was our night off, Monday night, so we had a chance to go out and celebrate a little bit and be around a lot of our friends. But after today, it’s all down to business and we’ve got work to do.”


(on the relationships the fans of the city of Pittsburgh have with the team) “It’s a great relationship that we have with the fans. They’re very passionate about the Steelers. The whole city of Pittsburgh really follows us and they’re always behind us. We love their support and we definitely feel like they’re a part of this team, also.”


(on why he thinks they are more passionate in Pittsburgh than in other cities) “I feel that sometimes we’re the heartbeat of the city. I think when we’re successful and when we do well, the city is doing well. I’ve seen it when we’re playing bad and things aren’t going our way, the city was sort of down, too. We definitely keep the heartbeat of the city going and they love us to death and support us and we love them the same way.”


(on if he feels the team matches the city’s blue-collar mentality) “No doubt. I think we all come to work every day with our hardhats on and we’re just a group of guys that come to work every day and it’s just a grind. We understand and realize that it’s a grind every day and there is a lot of work that goes into this.”


(on why their team works so well together) “I think when Mike Tomlin first got here, I think he did a great job of just letting the coaches coach. He pretty much kept our defensive staff intact and those guys have been great throughout the years. He saw something good in our defense and he didn’t want to change it. I really have to give it up to him for that.”


(on how they keep Arizona wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald from doing what he’s been doing) “I don’t know. That’s the million dollar question right there. He’s pretty much the best receiver in the game right now. He’s won that team a lot of games and it’s going to be tough for us to stop him.”


(on how rewarding it is for him to be a Steeler) “I feel like coming to Pittsburgh was a rebirth for me. It’s allowed me to do a lot of things that I knew I could always do; be a playmaker and make plays in the NFL. I never doubted my ability, but it was just me getting the opportunity and getting a chance. I love it here and I think it’s a perfect fit for me.”


(on if a great defense always trumps a great offense) “We’ll find out on Sunday. We know they have a great, high-powered offense and they’ll try to get the ball to their great receivers. It’s going to be a tough challenge for us and we’re looking forward to it.”


(on if he always enjoyed what former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter would say on Media Day) “He’s the voice of the people. He was definitely our voice. When guys think about saying stuff and really don’t want to say it and get in trouble, he would come out and say it anyway. We always loved him for that. He’s still doing it today for the Miami Dolphins and he hasn’t changed one bit. I kind of wish we had him here to stir things up a little bit today, but we’ll do without him”


(on what makes Larry Fitzgerald so tough) “He’s a great receiver and we’re definitely going to have to do some special things to stop him from getting the ball. He can win the game by himself, so we’ll definitely have to be prepared to stop the things they’re going to try to do to get him open.”


(on how common it is for sideline confrontations to take place) “It’s normal. I think the media really blew up the thing with Anquan Boldin last week. It’s one of those things that happens every week in the NFL. People don’t realize it, but it does happen and you get fired up. It’s an emotional game that you put everything into and you want to win more than anything. Sometimes your emotions get the best of you. At the end of the day, you’re a team and everybody is in it together for the same cause. You just put it behind you and you just have to move forward.”



FB CAREY DAVIS

(on starting with the Steelers the same time Head Coach Mike Tomlin did) “It has been fun. For a second-year coach to bring his team to the Super Bowl is special. He does a great job with everything, and we know what to expect from him. He makes sure we are prepared every week and that shows with us being at the Super Bowl.”


(on the pressure of playing in the Super Bowl) “It is the last game so you just have to leave it all out there. You don’t have to worry about practice or playing after the game – this is it. You want to put it all on the line.”


(on what separates RB Willie Parker from other NFL running backs) “A lot of people say it is his speed that separates him but I think it is his ability to find holes between the tackles. He has great vision and the ability to see an opening before it is there. The last couple of years he has done a great job of making moves and forcing people to miss.”


(on QB Ben Roethlisberger’s ability to take a number of hits during a game) “Ben is one tough guy. He will take a big hit and be right back in the huddle ready for the next play and even does it with a smile on his face. Sometimes he will come back in the huddle after a big hit and just say, ‘Come on guys lets go.’ When you see him do that it lifts all of us up.”


(on any advice his teammates, who have played in a Super Bowl, have given him this week) “I have listened to what some of the veterans have said as far as ‘Don’t go out and experience the nightlife’ and I understand that. Sunday’s game is an opportunity to be remembered, and that is what we want to do.”


(on how difficult it was handling ticket requests from family and friends this past week) “I got most of it taken care of before I got here, but I still have some things to work out. I have a couple left that I will use for my family members that haven’t made it down yet.”



DE AARON SMITH


(on his son Elijah who was diagnosed with leukemia) “My son’s doing extremely well. We’ve been so blessed. Since the prognosis, everything has gone wonderfully well. Like I’ve said, we’ve been extremely blessed in this situation.”


(on when his son was diagnosed with leukemia and what kind of impact it’s had on him) “He was diagnosed in late October and it’s been a journey, that’s for sure. But through it all, the Lord has truly strengthened my family and has blessed us abundantly with all that’s going on now.”


(on how he knew something was wrong with his son) “The way it started out was that he had a fever longer than five days so we just went to the hospital initially to just get some bloodwork done and see what was going on. And then we found out he had leukemia.”


(on the blood drive the Steelers organization hosted for Smith’s son) “It was unbelievable. It was the day after Christmas and I had told my story prior to that, and the turnout was unbelievable. I think over 800 people donated blood that day.”


(on if this is difficult for him to talk about) “It’s not the easiest thing. I’m a pretty reserved and quiet guy myself, but anything with my personal life or my family I try to keep as far away as possible as I can. But this is something that I have to deal with and this is my life right now.”


(on if he has any other children) “I have three other girls. They’re six (years old), then I have a two-year old and a seventh-month old. I have four kids total and Elijah is five years old.”


(on what treatments Elijah is on) “He does chemo (therapy) on a regular basis. There are different stages you go through for a treatment and remission is about a three-and-a-half year process.”


(on how Elijah has been through this process) “He’s unbelievable. The Lord has worked amazingly in his spirits and his cheerfulness. He’s just unbelievable.”


(on how Smith is doing dealing with this while playing in the Super Bowl) “First and foremost, the Lord’s given me the strength to get through all this, and then my unbelievable family. I’ve got an unbelievable wife, and we’re all just dealing with it. It’s really through the Lord’s strength that I’ve been able to cope through this.”


(on the importance of Dick LeBeau to the defense and the possibility of him retiring at the end of the season) “I think people underestimate how important he is to this team. First and foremost, he inspires everybody on that defense, just being around him with his personality. He’s such a football mastermind in terms of coming up with schemes and plays to stop the opposing offense. If he did hang it up this year – which I don’t think he will – I would be very disappointed.”


(on if being a defensive end in a 3-4 defense bothers him because he doesn’t get as much attention as the linebackers) “No. I’m the type of guy that winning is first and foremost and is the only thing that matters to me. I think the thing about this defense is that everyone is so selfless. Nobody cares who makes the plays; we just want to win games.”


(on if he’s been voted to the Pro Bowl as an alternate at this point) “I have not been told anything.”


(on if LeBeau has talked about his future to him) “No. He’s a pretty focused guy. He gives you football and that’s about it. I think he’s pretty close to himself as far as what he wants to do, but like I said, I think he’s enjoying the game too much to hang it up. We’ll see.


(on what Mike Tomlin has brought to this team) “I think Mike’s best thing that he does is his perspective. He doesn’t ride the rollercoaster during the season of wins and losses. He’s a pretty even-keel guy. I think that’s the thing, and guys don’t get too worked up or too uptight during a game.”


(on how to handle all the hype of the Super Bowl week) “I think you just try to keep it in perspective and when you get a chance you get away from it all. It can be overwhelming. The last time we were here at the Super Bowl in Detroit, I was a little shellshocked when you come out and see all the media. You always have stuff during the week, so it can seem a little overwhelming. A lot of times you just bring your work week and just focus on football, but this time you’ve got so many other things. So I think the best thing is to pull back when you get a chance and just stay away from some things.”


(on how he received the news about his son’s leukemia) “We were in the emergency room that night and the doctor said that we had to see an oncologist. I didn’t understand why we were seeing an oncologist and he came in and he asked us, ‘How much do you know about leukemia?’ So we started with that on a little bit of a whirlwind during the first couple of weeks. And for most people, you don’t even know what leukemia is. I had no idea. I knew it was a form of cancer, but I didn’t know anything about it, let alone that a child could have leukemia. So learning about it and figuring out what you’re dealing with is kind of overwhelming.”


(on how the medical care has been for his son) “Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh has been unbelievable. I can’t say enough about them. I think that anyone who has a sick child and can bring them to this hospital is so blessed.”


(on upholding the tradition of great Steeler defenses before them) “I think the first thing you do when you come to Pittsburgh is you realize the tradition. It’s so engrained into the players how strong the defenses have been in the past that you just want to uphold that part of the tradition and be a part of that.”


(on if he’s amazed how Dick LeBeau at age 71 can still connect with the younger players) “I’m amazed everyday I see him. If you guys would be around him for a day, I think you’d be shocked. The man does push-ups during practice and all sorts of stuff. Then his personality is just so cheerful and happy. He’s younger than a lot of the players, mentally, I think. He’s an amazing man. I can’t say enough about him.”


(on if the Steelers defensive tradition puts more pressure on today’s players) “I think it’s a good pressure. I think it does put a little bit of pressure, but it’s a good pressure that motivates you and drives you to do the best you can possibly do.”


(on going 2-0 in Super Bowls in white jerseys) “I heard that, but I’m a little disappointed because they don’t hide the curves as well. But yes, I know we are 2-0 in white. I like that fact, and I like that I’ve had good success in this stadium in the past. I like the feeling.”


(on if being the favorites in this game motivates him and how it allows him to keep the edge) “I think being in the game itself motivates you. It doesn’t matter if you’re an underdog or a favorite. It’s always funny to me when you guys (the media) come up with the underdog and the favorite in this game because it’s a Super Bowl game and you can throw everything out the door. Both teams are going to show up and put their best effort out there. So being motivated to be the underdog or favorite, that doesn’t make a difference. You should be motivated to be here period.”


(on what this team is like to be around compared to the last Super Bowl Steelers team) “The team in Detroit was a close group and this team has a similar feel to that. Guys truly like being around each other and coming to work and working with each other.”


(on if he will change his pre-game rituals) “I’ll make sure I enjoy this one more. Last time, I was so focused on winning the game, so I think I’ll definitely take it all in and appreciate it more (this time).”


(on when his son will arrive in Tampa) “My son will be here on Wednesday. He’ll be watching the game – not in a box – but he’ll be in the stands. ”


(on his son’s current health) “His cell counts are good. His doctors wouldn’t let him come if his cell counts weren’t good enough. Obviously we’re not going to be doing stuff that a lot of people do, but he’ll come up to the stadium and watch the game and he’ll be here. So this is truly a blessing during a time like this that his cell counts were well enough for him to come.”


(on how important it was for his son to be able to make the trip down to Tampa) “It’s a blessing and a positive. Football, in perspective, is not the biggest thing going on in my life right now. I am grateful that my son is able to come and see the game, but if he didn’t, then we’d just move on. That’s what we have right now and we just continue to move on.”


(on how difficult it was for his teammates to talk to him about the subject of his son during his first week back playing) “I think this team is so close that guys had no problems talking about it. A lot of times I think it’s hard for people to talk about things like this, but we’re so close that there was no problem in guys asking how he was doing or if I needed anything. It wasn’t difficult on them at all.”


(on playing in the first game back after dealing with his son’s illness against the Giants) “Playing in that game was something I had to do that week: some type of normalcy that I had during the week. I really wanted to be there for my teammates that week because that’s a big part in what we do. So the response and support I got from my teammates was awesome.”


(on if he was able to just play football and turn his mind to something else during that game) “When you go out there, you don’t have to think about anything else for two or three hours. It’s kind of an escape of reality a little bit and it’s always been that way.”


(on how different his life is since his son was diagnosed with leukemia) “There are times when it’s harder. With all the things going on, I’ve got to check my phone more often at work and see how things are. My wife has been unbelievable during this time. She’s been the rock for the whole thing. The support she’s given me and the strength I’ve gotten from her has been unbelievable.”


(on the Arizona Cardinals) “They’re a great team. They’re playing really well right now.”


(on if he expects Arizona’s offense to spread them out defensively) “I’m sure Coach (Ken) Whisenhunt will have something for us. He knows us well and we know him. He’s always a guy to have some wrinkles in there for a team, so it’s going to be an interesting game, I think.”


(on if he thinks Whisenhunt will call any trick plays) “He’ll call at least one. Is there a game that he’s played where he hasn’t had at least one? He always seems to have the right time for that trick play too. We’ll definitely have to be on our toes in this game. He used to do it occasionally at practice when he was in Pittsburgh and whenever we would be in a competitive situation in practice he’d throw it in there every once in awhile.”


(on the Steelers 2005 defense compared to the current one) “I think this defense is playing better from front to back as a whole group. We had a good defense in 2005, but sometimes it seemed like once in a while, we didn’t have a group play so well. Throughout the year as a whole group I think we’ve played pretty consistent.”


(on the Cardinals offensive line) “They’re good. They’ve got them well-coached and they play extremely hard.”


(on the struggles of the Cardinals running attack) “I think we’ve got our hands full. They have great backs and they do a great job of trying to run free. I don’t think anyone run the ball particularly well in the playoffs to be honest with you.”


(on if he’s surprised what Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner has done) “No. He’s a talented man. He’s a two-time MVP of the league. You know he has the ability to do it. I’m not surprised at all.”


(on Cardinals wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin) “They’re an unbelievable tandem and Kurt Warner knows how to get the ball to them. We’ve definitely got our work cut out for us.”


(on the weather in Tampa) “This is unbelievable. I was laughing because in Detroit, it felt like we were still in Pittsburgh during Super Bowl XL. Coming here, this has a Super Bowl feel. I was joking with someone earlier that I didn’t know what that big yellow thing flying in the sky was because I haven’t seen the sun in two months in Pittsburgh.”


(on the difference from his first Media Day at Super Bowl XL) “The sun is out. That’s a big difference. I think there’s a difference in that in the first one, I was a bit overwhelmed. I didn’t take it all in. I was a little bit in shock at first. This time, I’m actually looking around a little bit and noticing things and seeing things. I feel a little more at ease this time.”


(on playing in warm weather compared to playing in the snow the past couple of weeks) “Getting warmed up won’t be a bad thing. Obviously, you have to get used to the heat a little bit and hydrate more, but football is football at this point.”


(on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau) “If I can be like Coach DeBeau when I’m 72 years old, I’d be a very blessed man. I think the one thing he told me is, ‘Being around young people keeps you young.’ You look at him every day and you can see it. He’s young at heart, young at mind and when he shows up to work, he’s more enthusiastic than most of the players are.”


(on if it’s easier knowing what to expect this time around) “Oh yeah. I think when you know what’s coming and how the week is going to progress, it’s easier to enjoy it. I had promised myself that if I ever got back here, I would enjoy it and appreciate it more.”


(on if it’s nice to be asked oddball questions) “It is kind of nice. You’re not getting the same old monotonous questions. On the other hand, sometimes the questions are a little off the wall.”


(on if his teammates were excited in the locker room before coming out to greet the media) “They were. They might have been a little too excited. They were jumping around and dancing, just really excited.”


(on if there is any way he can describe the emotions of playing in a Super Bowl) “You can’t even describe it. Usually, you get used to being in a game and when you get nervous after playing a couple of snaps, you settle down. When we played Super Bowl XL in Detroit, it finally came down at halftime. I couldn’t believe I was wound up for an entire half of a football game and I didn’t realize it.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario