miércoles, 28 de enero de 2009

Arizona Cardinals -1- Miercoles 28/1/09

Super Bowl XLIII – Wednesday, January 28, 2009

QUOTES FROM ARIZONA CARDINALS PRESS CONFERENCE



T LEVI BROWN


(on the Steelers’ aggressive defense) “I’d say they’re the most aggressive defense that we’ll face this year. Their front seven are pretty amazing right now. They’re able to get a lot of pressure off the edge. The guys in the middle are able to push the pocket back to the quarterback, so it’s causing a lot of problems with the passing game. They’ve always been great against the run – that’s why they’re ranked the No. 1 defense in the league this year. We’re going to have our hands full.”


(on the Steelers’ blitzes) “In any game, the object is to get pressure on the quarterback because it causes disruption and messes up the scheme of things. This is the biggest game there is, so I’d imagine they’d try to get a lot of pressure on the quarterback.”


(on the amount of sacks that the Steelers outside linebackers have had this season) “(James) Harrison and (LaMarr) Woodley are playing great right now. Woodley’s had about two sacks every playoff game so far, and Harrison was the Defensive Player of the Year. Both of those guys are going to create matchup problems for us. We’re going to have to be on our ‘A’ game in order to stop them.”


(on OLBs James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley) “They’re basically hard workers. They can’t really take a play off. You’ve got to really stay on the block, because I’ve seen times when they’ve been locked up and have fallen off the block and made tackles, or been able to get past two or three tackles in order to make a play. You have to bring your ‘A’ game and be ready to work.”


(on QB Kurt Warner’s abilities against the blitz) “Kurt’s been around for a long time, so he’s seen a lot of blitzes. He’s able to figure out what a defense is going to do before the snap of the ball, so he gets the ball out real quick. He’s always in our meeting room studying the defense, so he gets that extra edge.”


(on how the offensive line handles the different running styles of RBs Edgerrin James and Tim Hightower) “We don’t really have to change too much as far as blocking. I’d say that Tim likes to bounce it outside more than ‘Edge’ does, he has a little bit more speed. For us as a line, we pretty much block it the same way.”


(on if the Cardinals’ offense has gotten credit for their consistency this season) “The media likes to focus on the negative, and we did get our butts whooped in a couple of games. You know what I mean, ‘A team that’s going to the playoffs, but getting whooped in a couple games, they don’t have that same confidence that you can get it done.’ But we all just had to stick together. We know that we have a good team, and we just kept going out and working in practice. Coach Whisenhunt gets us ready every week and just kept going.”


(on if he was ever concerned that the team wasn’t running the ball enough) “I like to run the ball, I’m not going to lie. There were a couple of instances where I did go to coach and say some things. But, I think for where our team was going and the receivers that we have, and the way we were winning games, I think we needed to pass the ball.”


(on the keys to being successful in this game) “I always think in any game, no matter what the magnitude, the matchup is offensive line versus defensive line. I think in the trenches is where games are won. They obviously have a great front four, front seven, and we have to be on our ‘A’ game in order to win this one.”


(on facing Woodley) “I played him two years in a row (in college when Penn State played Michigan), so I have gone against him. He’s sort of the same kind of player. Of course he’s gotten better over time, just like anybody. He’s having a great playoff run right now. He’s going to be a force out there. He’s going to try to be very disruptive.”


(on why the Cardinals’ line has had success protecting Warner) “Just knowing our scheme. Just sticking together and being able to make calls, knowing which guys we have to block. Kurt’s getting the ball out pretty quick for us right now. Of course, our receiving game has been pretty good. It’s causing a lot of people to have to play that.”



CB RODERICK HOOD


(on his most vivid memory of his last Super Bowl) “The most vivid (one) was being the first person to touch the ball in the Super Bowl when it was kicked to me. There were so many cameras and things flashing, the ball was like a dot. I was like, ‘I hope this dot is the ball.’ I think that was probably one of the most vivid memories I have.”


(on his emotions after losing the Super Bowl when he was with Philadelphia in 2004) “It was a tough loss. (After) all the work we put in—hard work—we felt like we definitely could’ve won that game. We made some mistakes, but we knew it was in our grasp. Coming up short was really, really tough…We fell short but I think everybody gave their greatest effort.”


(on how he’s feeling in the week leading up to the Super Bowl) “Whenever you play in a game, you always have nervous jitters. But you try to stay focused, understand what you’re trying to do, remember what the game plan is, and just try to go over in your mind making plays. The emotions, after the first hit, it kind of dies down.”


(on whether he can treat this week like a normal work week) “Oh yeah. You have to. The team that’s going to be the most successful is the team that understands this is football. Treat it like a normal work week despite all the media and all the questions and things you’re answering. Go out here and practice like you’ve been doing throughout the year.”


(on whether he’s replayed his last Super Bowl over in his head) “Yeah, I’ve played it over in my head, things that I could’ve done better. I think that’s every game that you play. And then a game of Super Bowl magnitude, there’s plays where you’re still like, ‘Man, I wish I could’ve done this or picked this ball off.’ Things like that.”


(on getting hurt during that Super Bowl) “I cramped up during halftime. I was able to come back, but the drive that I missed was a drive they went down and scored on. That still kind of plays back in my mind.”


(on whether Brian Westbrook played differently this year because of his injuries) “He was banged up the whole year. He ran the ball as a good running back in our game (against Philadelphia this year), but because his knee was bothering him, he wasn’t as explosive as he normally is. But still, a banged up Brian Westbrook is better than 90% of the backs in the league. But he didn’t look as explosive as I’ve seen him play.”


(on what he’ll do differently preparing for this Super Bowl after having been through one already) “Every time you get on the field, you try to make more and more plays, try to get yourself in position to make plays. That’s what I feel like this game is all about. I’m starting this game so it feels like I can put myself in position to make a play. I’m going to do that, whether that’s creating turnovers or knocking balls down, whatever. Whatever it takes to win.”



DE CHIKE OKEAFOR

(on staying positive and his mindset throughout his career)
“Everyday is a bonus and it’s a gift. That’s the perspective. Looking on the bright side of everything that happens, whether it appears to be good or bad, but knowing there’s always something to be gained from each situation. Just have to keep that positive outlook. That’s what keeps you young. It keeps me wanting to play this game, wanting to train and that’s what it is all about. You gotta have fun and to look at it like that. I don’t look at it like a job or like work. Work isn’t fun for most people. In this case, I’ve been blessed to do something and have a career doing something I love to do. I definitely can’t look at that as work. I’m just trying to stay young. It’s a young man’s game. I think that has helped keep me lively, refreshed and rejuvenated each year. It’s been good.”


(on sacking Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo in overtime of the Cowboys game)
“It was a great game. We were at home against an opponent we were to be an underdog against. We played them tough all game. They were able to get back into the game and things came down to that last drive and we got into overtime. We knew we had to make plays or else the momentum would go over to them. We had three great defensive plays forcing a punt. We got a blitz called and I did what I’ve been trained to do. I had a fullback blocking me. I’ve never had an unblocked sack in my whole career. Maybe that’s coming on Sunday. I got off my block, he was scrambling out of the pocket trying to make a play and I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and I got the ball out and made a big play for my team. That was definitely a special moment.”


(on the different traits the guys on the defensive unit share)
“I definitely say we all have large hearts, love for the game in the pure sense of the word. I think most of us do look at it as play and strive to be the best and want to be the best. Obviously everyone wants to be respected. Sometimes that’s something that takes a long time. It’s not really something that drives us. It’s one of those things as long as we continue to do the things we’ve been doing, pushing ourselves and playing as a unit, those things will come and the respect will come. It’s slowly coming and that pace is fine for us. We have a good group of guys with great character and unselfishness. We just truly love the game. I think those are the kind of traits that are rewarded with success.”



RB J.J. ARRINGTON

(on how excited he is to be playing in the Super Bowl) “I’m very excited. It has always been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. You work hard all your life to get here and you don’t know if the situation is ever going to happen, but I’m really excited to be here.”


(on what the Cardinals offense needs to do to be successful against the top-rated Steelers’ defense) “We have to stay balanced and stay out of third and long. If we can do that and keep playing the way we have been playing, we will be successful.”


(on what his impressions were of Media Day) “Media Day was cool but I knew it was going to be kind of crazy already. It was a nice atmosphere out there and it was crazy, but not too crazy. There were some fun questions and everyone was having fun with each other. It was pretty much what I expected before I went out there yesterday.”


(on what his thoughts were about the flea-flicker play he was a part of in the NFC Championship Game) “We really don’t practice a lot on those plays. Once it is in the playbook, anything is possible and we can pull it out at any time. We happened to work on the play three times that week [prior to the NFC Championship Game] and then it worked to perfection in the game.”


(on how the coaches decide when to use a trick play) “If the situation is right in the game and we need that play, then they will use the play. But if we are up by a few touchdowns, they would probably pull it back and not use the play that week.”


(on why teams don’t use trick plays more in games) “I don’t think you can use them more. You have to use them in the right situations during the game and catch them at the right times.”


(on what other trick plays he’s been involved in with the Cardinals) “I threw a halfback pass against Carolina and the play we ran against the Eagles [in the NFC Championship Game] we tried against New Orleans last year. They were both incomplete.”


(on what is it like playing with Kurt Warner) “Kurt is like a coach on the field. He really knows his stuff and you can really learn from him by just watching him. He’s a good guy to study and learn from.”


(on whether veteran running back Edgerrin James has helped him) “He’s really helped me. Anytime you can learn from a future Hall of Famer, it is awesome. I try and learn from him as much as I can and all the scenarios he’s been through [during his career], I try and learn from him.”


(on whether it has sunk in yet that he will be playing in Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday) “After Media Day yesterday, it pretty much has sunk in now.”


(on whether he will prepare any differently for this game than he has the rest of the season) “I just try and keep to my normal schedule and try to not let the distractions bother you. I try and keep the same schedule I have been on during the playoffs. And being here [in Tampa] for a whole week really helps because you can get use to the atmosphere and the weather and the different time zone.”



WR ANQUAN BOLDIN


(on trick plays and if he’d like a chance to contribute on one as a quarterback) “I would love to. I’ve been in a number of different positions this year, lining up at the quarterback position in the backfield, as a running back, or playing the slot receiver out wide. There are a number of different things we can do, but I’d definitely love to throw the football.”


(on how it feels that Larry Fitzgerald has talked about his willingness to restructure his contract for him) “It feels good. Fitz and I have been together for five years, and we’ve been through a lot together. I think the relationship that we have, neither of us want to see broken up. There’s a mutual respect, not only as receivers but as friends, and we realize that we make each other’s jobs easier.”


(on when he last threw a pass) “Probably preseason, we played Houston. I threw one last year, I think against the Redskins. We had a lot of stuff in the playbook last year as far as me taking direct snaps and things like that, but with the injury against Baltimore, we kind of had to cut back on some of the things we were doing.”


(on Kurt Warner having a death stare when things don’t go well) “He’s always been cool with me. For me, Kurt has always been approachable, even when things aren’t going right on the field. He’s been a guy who comes up and approaches you in a manly manner. He’s always a humble guy. You never see him get out of character.”


(on if Fitzgerald’s offer to renegotiate his contract for him gives him second thoughts about not wanting to return to Arizona) “Well for me, I really haven’t pondered on that. I just heard about it last night actually, and for him, I think that’s a good gesture. For me, I’m not thinking about the future. I’m living right now, and I want to enjoy this moment because I don’t know if I’ll ever get this opportunity again. It’s taken me six years to get to the playoffs alone, not even speaking about the Super Bowl. I just want to enjoy this time and this moment, and not even ponder about the future.”


(on how tough it was to grow up in Pahokee, Florida and if playing football kept him away from that) “There’s trouble to be found even if you are playing football. There’s not a lot of opportunity there. There are a lot of great people there, a lot of hardworking people, a lot of talent there. If you ask me, I think anything you are looking for you can find – not only a football player, but academics as well. Whatever you are looking for, you can find in that area, but it’s just unfortunate that there is not as much opportunity as there is in other places.”


(on how Edgerrin James has changed since first coming to Arizona) “Edge is Edge. He’s going to be himself no matter who he is around or what the situation is. I’ve known Edge for a number of years, even before he came to the Cardinals. He’s a free spirited guy, a guy who loves to have fun, but works hard when it comes to football.”


(on what he thinks about his six-year journey to get here) “I haven’t taken it all in yet, but I would say getting to this point, it’s been gratifying. We haven’t played the Super Bowl yet, and so I don’t think the job is complete, but when I first came here I remember saying in press conferences that I wanted to help turn the organization around. When I first got here, the Cardinals were the laughingstock of the NFL. Everybody had a punch line about the Cardinals, so to see us go from that point to where we are now has been gratifying.”


(on why he didn’t stop believing even though it took so long to turn) “Because that’s not me, I’m not a guy who gives up. I think you’ve seen me go out and recruit guys and tell guys to come out to Arizona, and what kind a place Arizona is to live. I just tried to go out and recruit guys who could help me come out and win. We got a couple of guys, Edge [Edgerrin James] being one of them, and I think people have seen the turnaround we’ve been able to make. Although it has been a slow and gradual process, it’s gratifying to see it finally come.”


(on what his track record was when it came to recruiting) “Not as many guys came as I would have liked. Every offseason I was trying to convince guys that Arizona is the place to be, a great place we can all enjoy, blasé, blasé. But not as many guys came as I would have liked.”


(on how much he thought Kurt Warner had left when he first came to Arizona) “In practice I thought he had a lot left, and again, the way he approaches the game and the way he prepares for games, he can play as long as he wants. He has a very good knowledge of the game, and a very good understanding of defenses and how they are trying to stop us. I thought that he had a lot left. I really didn’t see the reports that people made about him being washed up or anything. I didn’t see it.”


(on if Warner should be in the Hall of Fame) “He’s a Hall of Famer to me. His numbers speak for themselves – MVP, Super Bowls. He’s taken two different teams to the Super Bowl. He’s been to the pinnacle, he’s been knocked down, and he’s back at that point again. His numbers speak for themselves. I think if you put his numbers up with anybody who has ever played the quarterback position, he holds his own.”


(on how much he thinks being here means to Adrian Wilson, who has been on the team the longest) “I have just seen his drive. I think he realized early in the season that we had a chance to get to the playoffs, and that was all any of us were talking about – getting to the playoffs after having not been there in however many years. You’ve seen that drive and that focus in him, playing through injuries and doing whatever it takes to be on the field and be a part of it. I think it means a lot to him. I think he’s been here eight years. He’s been through a lot, so it’s good to see him get to this point in his career.”


(on if he and Wilson and other veteran teammates have talked about running out of time) “We never felt like we were running out of time because we all consider ourselves young. Adrian has been here the longest, but I think a number of guys from different classes after him were able to step in right away and make an impact on the organization immediately. We felt like we had the opportunity. For us, it was just a matter of finding that niche and the right way to go about it.”


(on what defines a hard hit in football) “I guess when you get hit hard enough to make you think about catching the ball or having anything to do with the ball. Some of the hardest hits in the NFL come when people don’t even notice. I think people think that hard hits are just big collisions with two guys just laying on the turf, or one guy not being able to get up. Some of the even harder hits are hits where guys try to bounce up and try to show people they weren’t hurt, but it does something to them psychologically.”


(on Steelers safety Ryan Clark) “He’s a good solid safety. We as a receiving corps don’t shy away from contact. I think we have some tough guys and some physical receivers. We don’t shy away.”


(on how aggressive the Steelers defense is) “I think they are real aggressive. They aren’t the number one defense in this league for nothing. They do a number of different things to try to confuse you as an offense, but you see a lot of those guys pursuing to the ball and that’s the reason they have a lot of turnovers.”


(on what makes Warner so effective against the blitz) “I think he has a keen knowledge of understanding what defenses are trying to do to us and how they are trying to stop us. He’s been successful against different blitzes, knowing what receivers are hot, and where he can and can’t throw the ball.”


(on how the receivers and Warner seem so in tune on those hot routes) “I think it’s just been a fact of knowing our offense and us studying film and knowing who is hot and where the open zones are going to be in different blitzes.”


(on what kind of role Darnell Dockett has had in the team’s success) “He’s been a guy who has made an impact on this organization from Day One. He was a Pro Bowl player last year, and made a number of big plays for us this year. He’s been key for the turnaround of the organization.”



WR STEVE BREASTON


(on some of his family being Pittsburgh fans) “My brother, Michael, he was a big Pittsburgh fan growing up – any Pittsburgh team, even the college. I was a big Pittsburgh fan growing up, also. But it’s family, my family, so they’re going out there and rooting for me.”


(on whether he looks at the possibility of a big special teams play having an impact on the game) “Yeah, I look at that opportunity. I know they’re looking at the same thing. Field position is very big, especially in championship games. You can put your offense in a good position at the start of the drive, and even in punting you can put them deep in their territory and have your defense step it up. Field position is very key in games like this.”


(on the intimidation the Steelers’ defense brings) “They’re a very aggressive defense. It’s Pittsburgh. They’re the No. 1 defense for a reason. They’re very physical. Their linebackers are physical. They really get around to the ball. But you can’t be intimidated. This is football. You’re going to have contact. I think we’ve got a great group of guys that can handle that.”


(on being a fifth-round draft pick and if he keeps an eye on other receivers drafted ahead of him) “I don’t keep an eye on them. I really focus on myself. I think that’s the biggest thing. When I came out of the draft, I knew I wasn’t looked at much in college. I came in tagged as a returner, so the biggest thing with me was I got a clean slate. I knew once I got drafted, anything in college didn’t really mean anything. So with my work ethic on the field and how I’ve progressed during the course of these last two seasons, I just kept working hard. Being in a situation with Larry [Fitzgerald], Anquan [Boldin] and Kurt [Warner] and how professional they are in how they go about their work, I think that was a privilege for me being here. Picking their brains and gaining knowledge from them has made me a better player. I was always a hard worker, but sometimes you work hard but you’re not working on the right things. Being around them, you know what things you need to work on. I think that’s been great for me.”


(on why scouts pegged him as a returner coming out of college) “I was a good returner. I was a better returner than I was a receiver, especially coming out of college. I was in situations where I had other talented receivers around me, also. When I was at Michigan, I stuck to my job, and I do the same thing now. I played my role on that team, and we benefitted and went to three Rose Bowls. I have a role on this team. Some days it’s bigger and some days it’s not. But whatever opportunities I have in front of me, I just take advantage of them.”


(on how much they relish the role of the underdog in this game) “It is what it is. I think this team believes that we can accomplish anything. Through the course of this season, we’ve faced a lot of adversity. We went through the season, and a lot of people doubted us. But as long as we had belief in ourselves, we overcame a lot. We’re here at this point now, and we have everything in front of us. Our goal is in front of us.”


(on being at a point where people picking against them has been a good omen) “Yeah, it’s been a good omen. But I think the biggest thing with us is the way we refocused. There was a point in time where everybody was like, ‘This is the worst playoff team ever.’ I think we went out there and refocused, put our heads down and kept grinding. We made it to this point, so you don’t change that. You keep the same formula and just get back to work.”


(on what Boldin has meant to the team and how big a loss it would be if he were to go elsewhere) “I think it would be a big loss. Coming in, Anquan has always been that guy... As soon as I got there, he was like, ‘You can come to me for anything.’ He’s one of those guys that knows this whole offense. He and Larry helped me out a lot in fine-tuning my game. They’re always asking me questions and telling me what I can do to get better. The same with Kurt Warner. I’m always in a meeting with those guys, and they’ve helped me develop into the receiver into the receiver I am right now.”


(on where Warner has had the biggest impact on him) “Just his leadership and his knowledge of the game. He knows so much about the game of football. He’s seen so many defenses. He really explains where you need to be and what he sees out on the field. You get that from a quarterback, it makes you play a lot faster because you know a lot about what’s going on with the defense, how the defense is rotating. You get on the same page with the quarterback and get into a rhythm.”



DT DARNELL DOCKETT


(on his experience thus far) “It has been cool. I’m just ready to get to practice. I have been walking around dealing with the media, and doing this and doing that. I am just ready to get back to the basics, going to practice, breaking a sweat and being around my teammates.”


(on how this experience compares to his expectations) “I knew it was a lot of media and things outside of practice. There is a tight schedule for everything, but I am enjoying it. It is all a part of the process and it is a good problem to have too. You are actually playing in the Super Bowl, and so you have to take the good with the bad.”


(on why the defense is playing so well compared to the numbers in the regular season) “When you get to the playoffs you have to turn it up. Even if you don’t want to or you were holding yourself back in the regular season, when you get in the playoffs, that’s like a showcase. I feel like when we got an opportunity to make a run for it and we knew who we were playing week by week, we just prepared well and went out and played our game. We were the underdog in every game so we took the approach as let’s go out here and let everything go. We don’t have anything to lose. Every team that we are playing is predicted to win. So I felt like they had more to lose than we did. We were just going out and playing freely and I guess everyone else was tensed up.”


(on envisioning being in the Super Bowl while playing in high school) “No I never envisioned being in the Super Bowl but I did envision being a professional player. It feels good that everyone in my high school can look up and show me the support. Especially some of my coaches, my friends, old teammates, and old teachers they can just sit back and be like, ‘Gosh he played here and now he has the opportunity to play in the Super Bowl.’ It is more entertaining to watch the Super Bowl when you know someone.”


(on being an emotional player and person) “I have toned it down a little but when I am on that field, I don’t tone it down at all and I don’t respect anyone playing. That is just how I play. I play with passion and emotion because this game wasn’t handed to me. I wasn’t one of those silver spooned kids who has been playing since he was five years old. I had the same high school cleats for three years and I would have had them for a fourth if my big toe wasn’t about to burst out of them. This game wasn’t handed to me and I am very thankful for it. I learned to move on from everything in life, and to take advantage of every opportunity that I got.”


(on how important it is to him win this game) “It is huge. I pride myself on the ability of trying to win. I don’t care if it is a practice, I don’t care if it is a scrimmage. You can ask anyone of my teammates. I don’t care if the pads are on and there is a whistle. It is going down and that is how I play. Everything I am doing, I am trying to win. I don’t believe in losing.”


(on being the underdog) “We are definitely the underdogs. We all play with the underdog mentality. Once we got in the playoffs and we realized we were going to be the underdogs no matter what or who we played, we thought we would shock the world. Let’s be better than everyone, let’s be better than everyone on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I honestly thing that games are won during the week, it’s not just on Sunday. It is how you prepare and how much time you prepare.”


(on dealing with Ben Roethlisberger differently because of his size and strength) “You have to wrap him up and you have to be really physical with him. He has big play making abilities. He will scramble around and throw a pass for 60 yards down the field for a big play. When you do stuff like that it gives your offense momentum. We just have to play solid and not just worry about stopping Ben Roethlisberger. You can’t just worry about stopping one person, you have to play solid football all around.”


(on ever thinking about the person that murdered his mother) “That’s a demon that’s inside of me that wishes I could sit down with that person and converse with them and ask what was going through their head. I want to let them know all the pain that they caused, but I also want to show them the good that came out of that whole situation and to forgive them. I learned from being on this team, going to bible study, getting closer to God and having teammates that are closer that force me to read the bible more. The one thing I learned was forgiveness. I forgive them but I still want to know why and what they were thinking. Personally it is just to get the demons out.”


(on thinking that the murderer knows him) Yes I do. Honestly whoever killed my mom, she know them. I feel like they knew me. I am pretty sure in the back of their mind, even if it is a crazy mind, they wonder about the kids and the pain they caused that is still there. Again I am sure I will represent my mom well on Super Bowl day. And to whoever did it, ‘You did a good thing.’ I take it as a stride and say, ‘I don’t know what was going through your mind at the time but God worked it all out. At the end of the day on Judgment Day you will have to answer to God’.”


(on spending a extended amount of time trying to figure out who murdered his mother) “Yes I did. For like the first five or six years I did. I used to always wonder if it was a family member, someone that was close to me, someone I see every now and then or if it was the neighbor. I used to wonder everything, but overtime I became more focused. I was trying to do something that was best for me instead of sitting around getting in trouble or getting arrested. I felt like it was a time for me to move my focus and energy to something else and when the time comes they will figure it out. I also realized that I was in the projects and a single black mom, they are not going to put a lot of emphasis on trying to find her killer anyway. It’s like me turning on CNN and they are looking for a little girl for like two years. It’s not like that. They probably just look at it as another black person dying in the projects. I took it and moved on with it. I am just trying my best throughout my career to represent my mom and my family.”


(on his joking attitude) “If I break my arm tomorrow, I have been through worse things than that. I feel like nothing that I can go through in the everyday life from this point on can really affect or get me down. You can ask every one of my teammates, when I am in the locker room I am on joke time. I am going to have a blast. My pain and my tears are gone. I have shed enough of them. When you see me I am always on joke time. Some people say you play too much. But I say you better enjoy life, you better smile and enjoy this while you can. A lot of my teammates buy into that and they understand me. That is just another day in the life of Darnell Dockett.”


(on starting football) “When I first moved to Maryland and started playing football, I actually quit. I never played football. I was just like ‘I don’t want to play this.’ I was used to stealing cars and fighting. I remember talking to the coach and he asked me if I knew the three-point-stance and I was like, ‘no but I can tell you how to steal a Buick Regal.’ My uncle, I thank him so much because he forced me to play football. If I didn’t play football, I was going to be on punishment for the rest of my life. So I just went out and tried. My first year I sucked. The next season when I was 15 I started lifting weights so from that and being big and fast for myself I built the confidence to continue playing.”



WR LARRY FITZGERALD

(on offering to restructure contract to keep Anquan Boldin) "I’m not really sure where that report came from. Someone asked me a question if I would be willing to do something to help the team, and I said, ‘No problem.’ This opportunity right here to be playing deep in the postseason, this is an amazing feeling. I'll do whatever it takes to get back to this point going forward in my career."


(on if he feels this is Arizona's window) "Every team has a window. With salary cap issues, I think everybody has issues and a window they have to be able to play in."


(on reports of issues with his ex-girlfriend) "You know what, it was an incident that was not what was reported. Anyone who knows me, knows the kind of person I am, and I would never involve myself with that type of business."


(on his grandfather working with him as a kid) "My grandfather had me involved in a lot of different exercises as a child, my brother and me, and not just us, but a lot of other kids in the neighborhood and the community. It really helped my hand-eye coordination, strengthened me eyes, strengthened my ability to see and react to things. It really helped me out a lot and I was fortunate to have that training."


(on some of those exercises) "This was a long time ago, when I was a child. They had me cover each eye with a patch on one eye and I would have to catch objects with the opposite hand, just to force my eyes to become stronger. It hasn’t been something I’ve done recently, but I think it was definitely the foundation for my good, strong hand-eye coordination.”


(on Kurt Warner’s reaction when things aren’t done correctly) “Well, Kurt has this look in his eyes when you don’t do something he wants you to do. It’s like, ‘What are you doing kid?’ He’ll come over to me and I’ll say, ‘Kurt, I’m sorry man, I’ll get it together.’ Being in the postseason, you really want to do well, but me especially I want to do well for Kurt. He’s such a close friend of mine, and I would really love to stamp his Hall of Fame card with a great win. That would be nice.”


(on what has happened for his game to take off recently) “That’s a good question, and I really don’t know. I just know the ball has been coming my way and I’ve been trying to make every play I possibly can. My team has been counting on me, and I just want to be reliable for those guys, and when my number is called, I just want to go out there and make a play for them.”


(on if he’s had a sense that he’s been hot and feels they should keep feeding him the ball) “I’ll take a pass anytime I can get one, but I know that for this team to work, it’s got to be balanced. Q [Anquan Boldin] has to do his thing, I’ve got to do mine and Edge [Edgerrin James] has to run the ball effectively. The more balanced you are, the better football team you are going to be. You don’t want to be relying heavily on pass. We did that earlier in the season and we had a decent regular season, but in this postseason, we’ve been able to be balanced and keep people on their toes.”


(on being considered a dominant player by the Steelers) “It’s a little different, a little weird. It’s truly an honor. I’m trying to get there. I want to be a dominant player in this game, but as I watch myself on tape, there are things I still need to really improve on to be that consistently dominant player that you see in guys like LaDainian Tomlinson and Peyton Manning, and other guys like that around the NFL who are able to dominate from year in and year out. I’ll have to continue to really work.”


(on staying so humble despite his great success in the playoffs) “I’m just a firm believer that what you did last week really doesn’t matter. I’ve got the opportunity of a lifetime coming up this week and I have to keep studying, stay in my playbook, and keep listening to my coaches because without those guys and my teammates, I wouldn’t be able to have the success that I’m having. I know it’s a week to week thing. The Steelers are a really good football team, the best football team we’ve probably faced all year. I’m going to have to have my best game of the year to help this team win, and that’s just kind of my mindset.”


(on what specific things he feels he needs to improve upon) “Just getting proper depths, planting off the right foot when I’m breaking down, not giving the defensive back any indicators – don’t peek back on your curl routes, things like that which good defensive backs like Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden will pick up on as the game continues to go on. I can’t allow myself to make those kinds of mistakes because in a game of this magnitude a route that you are supposed to be at 12 yards and you run at 11, then a defensive lineman tips the ball because you are coming out of your break too fast. I mean, it’s an opportunity to win a Super Bowl, so I just don’t want to be that guy at the end of the day who is pointed at as the guy who didn’t get his job done. I pride myself in not letting that happen.”


(on if breaking Jerry Rice’s playoff record for postseason receiving yards was weird) “I don’t think it hit me as weird, but I know that after that game he was holding that Lombardi Trophy, and that’s my focus right now. The yards, and the catches, and the touches or whatever, that really doesn’t matter. If you don’t take care of business on Sunday, it’s pointless.”


(on if he’s thought about being considered as one of the all-time greats) “I definitely aspire to be great. That’s one of the reasons I play the game, to win, to be great. I feel that if you aren’t trying to be the best, then I don’t understand what your motivation is in this game as a player. Every day I step on the practice field, I want to work and get the best out of my day so that I can have good results on Sunday. That’s just kind of my focus. I don’t look too far in the future. I just look at today. How can I be the best player I can be on Wednesday? How can I be the best player I can be on Thursday? If I can continue to chip away like that, then I can be the best player on Sunday. That’s just my mindset.”


(on how he thinks he can improve with yards after the catch) “Well, your route running is the biggest reason you can improve your yards after the catch. If I’m running routes and able to beat a guy and he’s draped all over me and I catch the ball, he’s going to tackle me right there on the spot, but if I’m running better routes and getting in and out of my breaks quicker, I’m able to get more separation and when I am catching the ball and running full speed, I’m able to run away from guys or maybe break a tackle and take a better angle. I think losing weight and becoming a better route runner has helped me.”


(on what he thinks when a gadget play is called) “I have a one-track mind when my number is called. No matter what the coverage is or who I’m playing against, I have to go out there and make a play. I just get into my zone, make sure I’m doing what I’ve been coached to do all week and just go try to make that play for us.”


(on his reaction in the huddle when his number is called for a trick play) “You have no idea. Coming out of the huddle and knowing that your number is called, it’s like opening up gifts on Christmas. You just have so much excitement and anticipation.”


(on if he would really re-work his contract so the 49ers could negotiate with Anquan Boldin) “Definitely. If it was to keep my brother Q [Boldin] here, or anybody else here, I would definitely help out. Being in the cellar of the NFL for so long, this right here is such an honor. To be playing in such a great game, anything I can do to help.”


(on what makes the Steelers defense so special) “They’re just so fast. They are so physical. They make so many plays. They are well-coached, and so disciplined. They are not going to beat themselves. You rarely ever see the Steelers out of position or missing tackles. They do all of the great things you expect a great defense to do. When it’s third and five and they throw the ball out to the back and it’s one-on-one with a linebacker, they make the tackle. Other teams might miss that tackle. They don’t make those mistakes. They get off the field, and they put their offense in good situations, and they are very opportunistic. They create a lot of turnovers as well.”


(on how he thinks the Steelers will try to defend against him) “We’ve definitely gone over it a lot, what they are going to try to do, but Dick LeBeau has been in this business a long time. He’s not going to change. I’m not the first good receiver they’ve played against, and I won’t be the best. They’ll have a game plan, and hopefully ours is just a little bit better.”


(on if having gone to military school before landing at University of Pittsburgh plays into the success he’s had in the NFL) “I don’t think much of it does. Guys blossom sometimes later than others. I’m from Minnesota, and it’s not like it’s a hotbed for football. I wasn’t playing against great talent there. I was playing against mediocre talent. I didn’t work out when I was in high school; I didn’t do anything. I was just playing and being with my buddies and having a good time. When I got to college, it was the first time I started working out and lifting and I kind of started filling out. I think I started to become a man, and that’s when I took my next big step.”


(on feeling like Kurt Warner has trust in him) “Definitely. Kurt, coming from the system he’s coming from in St. Louis, he’s used to making accurate, timed throws. If it’s seven steps, it’s coming out and it’s going to be on you. If it hits you at eight yards, it’s going to be on you. My game is a little different. I like to be able to run down the field and sometimes I’m covered. He’s got to be able to trust me to throw the ball up there for me. I think over time as I continue to make plays for him, he has a little bit more trust in me, but I’ve got to continue to keep doing that.”


(on which receivers in the NFL he likes to watch) “I like to watch everybody. Any game I can watch, I try to pick up on a lot. Like Steve Smith, I think he’s the best playmaker in the NFL. When he gets his hands on the ball, no matter where people are, he finds a way to get in the end zone. Torry Holt, I think he’s an amazing route runner. Terrell Owens, a tremendous playmaker. Randy Moss, those guys – Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne – everybody has their things that I really enjoy watching. I try to take bits and pieces of each player who I watch.”



LB GERALD HAYES

(on what it will take defensively for the Cardinals to win the Super Bowl)
“We have to do what we do. We have to execute and execute better than them. We have to run to the ball and react faster and hit harder. We have to want it more. We have to keep our focus. We can’t have mental mistakes and that happens if we don’t stay with our assignments. We have to play our football better than they play their football. That will help us win the game.”



OLB KARLOS DANSBY


(on whether the Cardinals can stand up to the Steelers physically) “Yes. The answer is yes. We’ve been working hard in the weight room, real hard, and it’s been showing the last three games. Guys aren’t really saying anything about us being physical, but when you turn that film on, it shows.”


(on if that physical mindset was brought to Arizona by people who came from the Pittsburgh organization) “It’s definitely what Coach [Ken] Whisenhunt brought to the table. He brought Coach John Lott in as the strength coach. Once he did that, we took off as a physical team. We cut 300 pounds of fat over the offseason as a team. We’ve been rolling ever since.”


(on what the Cardinals do to force turnovers) “Communication. Hand signals, talking, yelling, making sure everybody is getting their calls, playing on the same page and expecting the same things. When everybody’s expecting the same play and you execute that play well, you make plays like that. We’ve been making plays like that all playoffs. It’s been fun.”


(on the relationship between himself and his teammates and coaches) “We’re a tight-knit group. We watch out for each other on and off the field, support each other in whatever we have going on. It’s showing on the field that we’ve been rallying around each other and just holding on tight to each other.”


(on whether he admires a team that plays with the physicality that the Steelers do) “Definitely. Those are the kinds of teams you want to play with. Those are the teams you want to measure yourself to and play at just as high a level as them. We admire stuff like that when you see guys just coming out and hitting people and making big hits. It changes the game.”


(on how the experience of losing at New England helped them going on the road to play Carolina in the playoffs) “That was a straight-up beating that we took up there. The thing about it, it prepared us for this run. We needed that. We needed a wake-up call, and we got it when we went to Foxborough.”


(on Pittsburgh having safeties that almost play like linebackers) “They fly around to the ball. They play with a lot of passion. That’s a beautiful thing when you see a defense playing with a lot of passion. That’s what we’ve been playing with the past couple of weeks.”


(on the team concept in the Arizona defense) “We’re all about team. Whatever Clancy [Pendergast] calls, we’ve got to go out and execute. We’ve got to go out and execute the game plan. They are a well-coached team, and they’re coming to play.”


(on what they can learn from the Eagles’ win over Pittsburgh) “That’s the thing we’ve been watching. I watched that when we were playing Philly. I saw how Philly attacked them on the offense, and it was amazing. It was an amazing sight how they schemed everything they did. They just came in and did what they wanted to do. They played solid football all around.”


(on the Steelers’ offensive line) “I see guys just coming together. They’re finally on the same page. They had a lot of injuries early and had a couple of setbacks. Now, they’re on the same page, and they’re rolling.”


(on what makes Ben Roethlisberger so good at shaking off tacklers) “His size and his strength. He’s hard to bring down. And his will to not go down. He wants to stay up and finish the play on every snap, and that’s what he’s been doing.”


(on the importance of stopping TE Heath Miller in trying to break the Steelers’ rhythm) “We’ve got to try to break their rhythm. That’s been the key all postseason, trying to break teams’ rhythm and take away things they like to do. He definitely likes going over the middle, so we’ll try to take that away from them.”


(on if he feels like he’s due for a big game) “Yeah, but I’ve been trying to keep that to myself. But I’ve got a shot at it. With the caliber of scheme that the Steelers have and the things they like to do, it’s going to give me an opportunity to make a lot of plays. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been thinking about this for the last two weeks, just getting out and making sure I’m on point and making sure everybody else around me is on the same page.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario