martes, 2 de febrero de 2010

PRESS CONFERENCE COLTS - QB PEYTON MANNING - Ingles

Super Bowl XLIV – Tuesday, February 2, 2010

QUOTES FROM INDIANAPOLIS COLTS PRESS CONFERENCE

QB PEYTON MANNING

(on if this is an opportunity to take his personal career to a whole new level in history) “I certainly am not looking at the game that way. I agree with Drew. I think this game is about two great teams, that have had two outstanding seasons, really from the get go. Just realizing this is the first time since ’93, I think, that the two number one ranked teams are meeting in the final game. So that says a lot about both teams. We have had a target on our backs the entire season. Both teams have persevered through some tough circumstances and found themselves in the championship game. So I think it is going to be a wonderful football game. It is two excellent teams, competitive on both sides of the ball and there is a lot of great players in this game and I am just proud to be a part of it.”

(on if in his dreams he ever thought he would play the Saints in the Super Bowl) “No, probably not. I had no idea I would ever get to play in the NFL. So I have been counting my blessings every day since I have been able to play competitive football. The fact that I am in my second Super Bowl I consider myself very lucky. Having to wait nine years in order to play in my first Super Bowl certainly taught me to not take anything for granted. So I feel fortunate to be back. Every three years you go to a Super Bowl, I might run out of eligibility. So I need to try to take advantage of this one and hopefully we can win this game. I think certainly after you have gone through some struggles as an early player, early in your career going 3-13 as a rookie and having some disappointing playoff losses, it does teach you a lot about how special it is to be able to play in this game. I think our veteran players realize that and I have taught that to these younger players. Although, we have a lot of younger players like Joseph Addai for example, Antoine Bethea that are both in their fourth year and this is their second Super Bowl. For these guys it is their own path. For me, it is very special and I understand just how unique the opportunity is.”

(on who he thinks the people of Neumann High School in New Orleans will root for) “I certainly understand people in New Orleans are Saints fans. They have outstanding fans, always have. I certainly appreciate the people of New Orleans supporting me and Eli throughout our careers. That is our hometown. It is very important to us, Eli and I that he and I continue to support New Orleans through charitable endeavors. I understand this game New Orleans people are Saints fans and I am fine with that.”

(on if you ever have too much time to prepare with having the extra week) “It is certainly a great question and I think there is a real important timeline there as to when you get that feeling, ‘hey I’m ready. I have seen enough, now it is time to go play.’ I have never put a certain deadline on having to have that feeling. Obviously you hope to get it before kickoff, but sometimes in years past and during a playoff game or a big game or maybe a season opener, sometimes it happens the Wednesday before a game or sometimes it might not happen until Saturday before the game. As I am watching tape all of a sudden you say, ‘you know what, I got a pretty good idea, I got a good feeling right now.’ That is all you want is a good feeling, going into a game. The Saints may come out and play something entirely different than what we have seen, but you have to be prepared for the unexpected, but I am still on tapes right now. I am still studying, I am still learning. This is an unfamiliar opponent. This is a team with a lot of players we have not played against in this game. So, the more you can get familiar with these guys the more comfortable you hope to feel.”

(on what teammates and coaches he relies on with in-game adjustments) “I think it is important to have good sideline communication. Howard Mudd certainly when it comes to pass protection, he is the guy that we are talking to make adjustments. I think Jeff Saturday is probably the main guy as well. We have to get it fixed on the field. Sometimes you don’t have enough time in a long series, a long drive to go to the sideline. So Jeff and I will do a lot of talking. We are certainly anticipating to be playing like a road game this (Sunday). We feel like there will probably be more Saints fans in the stands. So we feel like crowd noise will be a factor. So you have to take all that in account in preparation.”

(on his relationship with Offensive Coordinator Tom Moore) “Well, I’ll always be indebted to Tom Moore. Being my offensive coordinator for twelve years our relationship is quite strong. We have been through a lot together. I have great trust in him. I feel like I have earned his trust as well. I think that carries onto the field. He gives me great freedom out there and puts a lot of confidence in me. He tells me before the game, ‘Hey if you see something out there, you call it. You change it and I have your back.’ That puts a lot of confidence in you as a quarterback. Some coaches tell their quarterbacks, ‘Hey you can change the play, but it better work.’ That is not confidence, that is a threat. I do appreciate the confidence that Tom puts in me. He and I spend a lot of time talking together during the week about what we are thinking together. So I think we are on the same page throughout the game. I don’t think I have ever changed a play that has surprised Tom. Like I said, I have certain limitations as well. Now, I am not allowed to change to the double reverse pass back to the quarterback. I have to keep it within the system. I have said this before, I don’t know if there will ever be an assistant coach in the Hall of Fame, but if there is one, Tom Moore has got to be the first one in. He has paid his dues. His goal, at least what he has always told me, I am sure he at least had aspirations at one time to be a head coach, but his goal was to be the best assistant coach there was. He has been a coordinator most places he has been and he has been one of the top coordinators around. I will be indebted to him.”

(on the uncertainty in the offseason regarding whether Tom Moore would return) “Certainly I was aware that last year possibly could have been his last year. I am certainly aware this year probably will be his last year. I was aware of it. I just wanted there to be a plan. For awhile there was some uncertainty as to what the plan was. I just think in April, May and June those are your core months of offseason training. So the plan needs to be in place. So the fact that we were kind of in limbo was sort of the unsettling thing. We got it all worked out and obviously it has worked out well for us this year.”

(on not being outside in the stadium for this year’s Media Day) “Disappointed obviously. It is fun to be out there in that stadium. I understand they had to make the call weather wise to move it in here. I think all our players and I am sure the Saints players have our fingers crossed that the weather will be good on Sunday, no matter what happens during the week. But picture day will be outside so we’ll get a little chance to be on the field and experience it and sort of get that feeling of what the environment is going to be like next Sunday.”

(on the influence Dan Marino has been on his career) “Dan Marino has had a tremendous impact on me. Growing up my dad was my favorite player always. He retired back in ’84. I was eight years old. Dan Marino was just coming into the NFL. I think it is important to always have a favorite player at all times. A current player. I went from Archie Manning to Dan Marino. Once Dan retired Eli was just starting to play college ball so Eli Manning became my favorite player. So I have always had good favorite players, but Dan, I always loved the way he competed, loved the way he commanded the offense and he has been so supportive of me since he has retired. I asked a lot of questions of him. As an older quarterback you still have to have guys you can ask questions of. Nobody will ever throw the ball like Dan Marino. I truly consider him a friend and I value his friendship.”

(on what it would mean for the city of Indianapolis if the Colts won the Super Bowl) “The city of Indianapolis, really the whole state of Indiana, have been so supportive of our team this year. Ever since the Colts have established themselves as a contender in the NFL really since Bill Polian got here, Jim Irsay took over ownership, they have been with us the entire way. We know we couldn’t be here without them. Being able to bring another championship back to the people of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana that would be special. Part of winning three years ago that was so special was being able to share the celebration with them. It is an exciting time for our players. I know the fans are excited and we feel like we are all in this together.”

(on the feelings he had winning the Super Bowl three years ago and how he would feel to win it again) “I don’t think it will be any different if we are fortunate enough to win because I know just how special it was three years ago. Just how much work you put into it. You think about how many people have helped you get to that point. My high school coach is coming to the game on Sunday and I think about him. My college coaches. My parents how supportive they have been throughout my sports career. I think during this time you do reflect on the people that have helped you get to this point and it is an emotional time. It is an emotional week. Like I said, but it is exciting also. I think you got to have great passion to play this game and if you win it you will certainly feel emotional.”

(on the most influential person/coach for him being at this point) “It is hard to pick one. I have had so many people that have helped me in so many different phases of my life. But when it comes to sports, I have had great coaches. I really have throughout. My dad obviously has never really been one of my coaches, but he has been my role model. Always been the guy that I have gone to. My mother drove me to all my sporting events. She did her part and hugged me after every game. My parents have been great, my brothers have been great. Coaching is a unique fraternity. There is something about coaches that is special. I have had a lot of coaches that have had a big impact on me throughout my career so I am indebted to all of them.”

(on what his dad taught him about Johnny Unitas) “My dad always said that his two favorite athletes growing up were Johnny Unitas and Mickey Mantle. Obviously I wasn’t old enough to see those guys play. Hearing stories from my dad about just the kind of impact those guys had on sports, in baseball and football. I understand the significance of Unitas as a quarterback. Playing for the Colts, even though we are in Indianapolis, I still feel a connection to the Colts history. Got a chance to meet Raymond Berry, some of the former Colts players, hearing them tell stories about Unitas. Had a chance to spend a couple of evenings with John Unitas before his passing. Those were some special evenings for me. Special conversations. He was always very nice to me.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario